Ruffle Cake -Basics?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 3 Mar 2012 , 3:01pm by Marianna46

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 8:32am
post #1 of 2

Ive seen these gorgeous ruffle cakes...can anyone tell me how they are done?
Is it fondant ruffles or BC ruffles?
I love the ones where the ruffles are all a different shade of one pink ruffles..going from dark to light!

Is there a link I could read up on?
Many thanks!

1 reply
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 2

Actually, there are both kinds. The buttercream ruffles are made with a rose tip (different people like different sizes- you'l need to experiment). You put the large side of the tip against the cake surface and use a back and forth motion to get the ruffles. Obviously, this is something you'd have to practice before you actually used it on a cake so you could get it just the way you want it. Fondant ruffles are made using a frill cutter, which is a circular cutter that gives you a ring-shaped piece of fondant with scallops on the outside (before I had one of these, I just used two circle cutters of different sizes, one inside the other - it works pretty well, too). To make the ruffle, you cut the circle open and then frill the outside edge with a toothpick or a bone tool. Then you place the frill in a straight line on the cake and it gets even "rufflier" (yes, I make up words as I go along). You may need several of these to go around a cake on each row, but the joins are easy to hide and the results are quite nice. To get the shading on either one of these, just tint your buttercream/fondant darker with each go-round.

Quote by @%username% on %date%