Sps Vs. Stressfree Vs. Cakestackers Then Add The Cakesafe!!!

Decorating By CLW Updated 27 Mar 2012 , 8:08pm by TerriLynn

CLW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CLW Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 16

OK you guys, I have decided to bake my own wedding cake, travel with it for 5 hours and try to keep it safe at the venue for one day before the wedding. My cake is 4 cake tiers with 3 dummies inbetween cake tiers.

So which system do I need to stack it with for safety in travel and setup? I have the SPS and usually pack my cakes in Lowe's boxes for traveling. But I'ved never traveled with a cake that size and that far.

I researched and researched until I'm totally familiar with each system but am also totally confused on what if anything I need to purchase to keep my cake safe. I have the funds for the stressfree, cakestackers and/or the cakesafe but of course don't want to purchase all three right here before my wedding. Not that I would need all three either. icon_smile.gif So what would you pros out there recommend I use? I'm going to attach a pic of my cake.
Thank you all!
LL

15 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 16

there's also a product called Stable Mabel!

http://stablemabel.com/

CLW Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

there's also a product called Stable Mabel!

http://stablemabel.com/

Oh my goodness! I just looked it up. It seems simple enough and is very clean looking and affordably priced. Just another to the mix. icon_smile.gif

MsMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsMonica Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 16

Oh wow! I want that Stable Mabel!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 3:18am
post #5 of 16

I have the stress free cake support system and love it. No cutting just twist and measure. It is a little pricey but I would trade it for anything. I have ordered several different sizes of legs. I had someone pick up a cake for a two hour drive and down a dirt road and it made it in one piece. I even let my mom deliver my cousins cake an hour away and her cake was perfect and I know she doesn't drive as slow as I do or take slower turns. I like the idea of SPS but they need a larger range of dowel heights. If you are using two inch layers plus filling and frosting the four inch legs are to short. The large legs come in a kit which costs 12.99 and then you have to find something to cut through them.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 3:19am
post #6 of 16

I would still use a center dowel with any system you decide to choose.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 4:09am
post #7 of 16

ive made a cake with this same set up. You will need holes precut in the cake dummies and once it is all set up it is quite wobbly to transport, you will definately need a dowel through the whole thing.
I used the stress free which worked great and i dowelled the center but i had less then a mile to travel. If i was taking it somewhere 5 hrs i think i would invest in a cake safe. ( i have 2 of them) and i dont worry about delivering anymore. Plus you will be able to keep your cake in it safely and cleanly until it goes out on display. Good luck.

CLW Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 12:45pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

ive made a cake with this same set up. You will need holes precut in the cake dummies and once it is all set up it is quite wobbly to transport, you will definately need a dowel through the whole thing.
I used the stress free which worked great and i dowelled the center but i had less then a mile to travel. If i was taking it somewhere 5 hrs i think i would invest in a cake safe. ( i have 2 of them) and i dont worry about delivering anymore. Plus you will be able to keep your cake in it safely and cleanly until it goes out on display. Good luck.

Thank you all! Sweetcakes, I was afraid it might be wobbly. I had made up my mind this weekend to use the SPS and plan to order a cakesafe next weekend. So would you use the stress free or the SPS if you were me.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 16

you wont be able to use the cake safe with the SPS plates because they are solid. You would need to drill a 2" hole in the middle of the 2 plates. I have the stress free,
If you want to save some money use the sps and just cut the hole in the middle. If you plan on making wedding cakes after your wedding the SF may be a better investment.

CLW Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 4:23pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

you wont be able to use the cake safe with the SPS plates because they are solid. You would need to drill a 2" hole in the middle of the 2 plates. I have the stress free,
If you want to save some money use the sps and just cut the hole in the middle. If you plan on making wedding cakes after your wedding the SF may be a better investment.

Yeah I make cakes and usually use the SPS but have thought about the Stress Free many times. The only drawback is the worry over getting all of it back. But you know, for the sake of my mind, I'm going to rder the Stress Free and the cakesafe.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 4:58pm
post #11 of 16

I traveled for 12 hours with a cake in the cake safe and it didn't move at all. It is pricey, but was worth it. Don't buy if you only plan to use it once. You will need to put a hole in the dummies so that when you take the rod out it doesn't mess up the cake because the dummies will create resistance. Hope that you understand.

CLW Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryp

I traveled for 12 hours with a cake in the cake safe and it didn't move at all. It is pricey, but was worth it. Don't buy if you only plan to use it once. You will need to put a hole in the dummies so that when you take the rod out it doesn't mess up the cake because the dummies will create resistance. Hope that you understand.

Thanks sberryp, I will use the cakesafe many times over I'm sure. I understand what you're saying about the hole in the dummies. I'll do that. The one that you traveled for 12 hours with in the cakesafe.....what support system did you use and how many tiers was it? That's quite a ride. icon_smile.gif

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 16

It was 4 tiers and had one dummy in the middle. I am happy that I was able to help.

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 4:53am
post #14 of 16

I use SPS on a regular basis, and for cakes that are over 3 tiers and/or travel for longer than 30 minutes, I put them in a cake safe. Love the set up. It's a little of a pain to cut out holes in the SPS plates and bottom board, and dummies, but cake safe keeps everything very sturdy. Just make sure that your cut outs at least 2 inches in diameter, so even if your cakes are not quite centered, the middle rod will go through perfectly.

CLW Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 8:41pm
post #15 of 16

Well, I ordered the cake safe. 2 actually. I received them last week and opened the box up literally 1/2 hour before we had to hit the road for a 2 hour long delivery. I was a little concerned that I wouldn't understand the workings and get it all straight in my head in such a short time. But it was very easy to assemble and very straightforward in directions.
This cake was a very heavy topsy turvy fondant covered cake. We set up the cakesafe, put the cake inside, washed the rode and slid it thru the cake, loaded and took off. I stopped once about half way there to check on it and it was fine except for one little gumpaste tree which had come loose. We arrive at the venue, take the safe upstairs with people oohing and ahhing all over the place. The owners of the venue had to come over to check it out. They had never seen anything like the cakesafe. The florist said all the cakes she had seen delivered in all her years, had always arrived in cardboard boxes and what a treat this was to see a cake being brought in already setup and intact after a long ride. I must say that it made me feel more professional too and not so hurried, worried, and anxious with people watching.I'm so proud I found the cakesafe. It is kind of costly, but what peace of mind! I can't wait to try them out on a 2 wedding cake delivery which are both 2 hours away in a couple of weeks.

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 8:08pm
post #16 of 16

Hi everyone! I am so glad I found this post. I am making my first 3-tier cake in May. The "stress free" system looks very cool. Will this also work with buttercream-covered cakes? The cake safe looks beyond awesome, but I don't make that many cakes so I can't see getting one just yet -- maybe with my Christmas money, ha ha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%