Cascading Strawberries...help Please :)

Decorating By lovetobakecakes Updated 1 Mar 2012 , 1:46pm by lovetobakecakes

lovetobakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetobakecakes Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 3:16am
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake that is 3 tiers sizes 6,8,10. The person who this cake is for wants cascading strawberries. How do I do that? I've never done that before so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ladies icon_smile.gif

4 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 3:33am
post #2 of 5

If I was doing cascading strawberries I would use 20 gauge floral wire as my "main" , I'd make the strawberries and leaves attached to 26 gauge wire and then attach them to the 20 gauge wire using floral tape. Add more "main" wire as needed until you reach your desired length and bend into shape. Tough to explain, have you checked YouTube for a gum paste floral spray tutorial? that's the method I"m attempting to describe.Hope this helps...

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 3:48am
post #3 of 5

you can also wait until the very last minutes and use the short skewers (6 inch or so) no toothpicks and cascade REAL strawberries down. Only use the skewers as required as this will cause them to weep. I glued some in place with white or milk chocolate. It really depends on the finished cake. Fondant - buttercream - ganache as what works best. I hope that helps

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 3:51am
post #4 of 5

Are they wanting real strawberries or fondant?

Either way, I use regular wooden toothpicks to stick fresh strawberries into the cake starting at the base of the cake working upward. Use the bigger strawberries on the tops of the layers and smaller ones on the sides. Works with either chocolate dipped and not dipped. This would also work with fondant or gumpaste strawberries. I've done this a zillion times.

This is one of mine http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1952309

lovetobakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetobakecakes Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you ladies for your assistance. She wants real strawberries on her cake. So I think I will be trying the toothpick method as I am doing strawberries dipped in white chocolate. Thank you for responding so quickly. I was really perplexed about how to get these strawberries to adhere to the cake without falling off icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%