Is Raspberry Puree Perishable?

Baking By Bridgette1129 Updated 4 Mar 2012 , 5:27am by Bridgette1129

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 1:34am
post #1 of 7

I realize adding raspberries straight into buttercream is perishable. But I don't want to use jam/jelly/preserves/sleeve filling.

If I cook the berries in sugar and reduce into a puree is this still perishable?

6 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 10:51am
post #2 of 7

Hi Bridgette,

What kind of buttercream is it? I'm guessing it doesn't need refrigeration because of the question. The sugar will act as a preservative, but so will the sugar in the buttercream. I wouldn't say indefinitely, but you have a few days.

Have you ever tried gourmet jams? I have found them to be less sweet and candy-like than the cheaper and grocery brands. I use them in buttercreams, as fillings, and in pastries. I have had to go through a few duds to find the right ones. Our farmers markets and Penn Dutch markets have great jams and honey.

I just bought some frozen raspberries last week and will be making puree in a few days. I'm still torn between adding sugar and leaving them alone. But because it will be for museum work in meringues, I'm thinking sugar. I'm also considering a thickener. This is one of my commissioned contracts, so it must be authentic to a period in history. I just don't know what period yet.

Good luck on your project. I'm sure it will turn out great. Susan

Bridgette1129 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for your long post as always icon_wink.gif
Should I still double check with my health dpt? I want to make sure I'm covering my a$$

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 8:13am
post #4 of 7

I would look for a .gov site or any other official site that handles berry science. A quick google noted that the mold on blackberries can be toxic. My question is would the mold be allowed to grow? I don't think so.

To answer the perishable issue, which I didn't before, my guess is yes. All commercial vendors ship frozen, which is why I am making my own. The cost of the puree is ok, but the shipping is an average of $45.00.

How long do you need it to last in days? Refrigerated? Maybe you are fine anyway. Another great source is you local farmer owned farmers market. Both of ours are owned by the growers. They will know exactly how long it takes to mold and they will know peoper handling per the Dept of Ag.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 7

I use a recipe from the cake boss software website. She says that it is stable for a few days unrefrigerated. http://www.cakeboss.com/raspberryfilling.aspx

I really like it and others who have tasted it enjoyed it as well. I do use the alcohol she recommends.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 7

All fruit can go off, make sure you wash it really well to remove any spores that may be on it. The chunkier the fruit, the more chance you have for it to break down and mold (or break down and deflate your buttercream) so when I use fruit in my SMBC I strain all seeds and pulp out after pureeing just to make sure.

Adding an acid helps as a preservative. When you puree your fruit, make sure you add some lemon juice or a dash of cream of tarter. Not only does it help the fruit not brown and preserve the color, but it also helps to prohibit mold growth.

I've done fruit puree (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries) in my SMBC that lasts as long as the buttercream will last. No HD issues here.

Bridgette1129 Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 5:27am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

All fruit can go off, make sure you wash it really well to remove any spores that may be on it. The chunkier the fruit, the more chance you have for it to break down and mold (or break down and deflate your buttercream) so when I use fruit in my SMBC I strain all seeds and pulp out after pureeing just to make sure.

Adding an acid helps as a preservative. When you puree your fruit, make sure you add some lemon juice or a dash of cream of tarter. Not only does it help the fruit not brown and preserve the color, but it also helps to prohibit mold growth.

I've done fruit puree (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries) in my SMBC that lasts as long as the buttercream will last. No HD issues here.

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%