New To The Business

Baking By AllyMcviking Updated 29 Feb 2012 , 8:03pm by shuswapcakes

AllyMcviking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyMcviking Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 4:11am
post #1 of 6

Hi all. I am new to the cupcake business and was wondering if you had any advice for me. What product should every cupcake baker have or what should every cupcake baker need to know?

Thanks.

5 replies
kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 4:34am
post #2 of 6

I wish someone had told me when I first started, to go to the business forum and read everything!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 4:43am
post #3 of 6

The most important thing to have is a business plan.

http://www.bplans.com/

AllyMcviking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyMcviking Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 4:46am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisamarie

I wish someone had told me when I first started, to go to the business forum and read everything!

Thanks. I have been looking around the site, just joined icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 6:32am
post #5 of 6

Before a business plan, you need to know your local HD requirements, as these vary greatly. My area has the highest, close to FDA codes, and others fall under Cottage Food Law, requiring a minimal investment.

A licensed plumber and electrician will be able to give you ballpark costs for your area and for your selected site (home, storefront).

Be prepared to finance this undertaking yourself with cash, as a loan will be next to impossible.

After you have an idea of the initial investment for construction and meeting codes, you can start your plan. The above information will let you know, before you get too deep in research, whether you want to persue the venture.

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 6

I'm not sure where you're at in the "process" of getting your business up and running but I think what the previous poster wrote was spot on. I wish I would have known all that before I started. When I was first starting out I was just soooo excited about making cakes/cupcakes that some (okay most!) of the legal stuff didn't even cross my mind icon_redface.gif

It takes a lot of time and dedication, and you want to make sure you start out on the right foot! Spend hours reading great tips and information in these forums - they're beyond awsome and someone is always here to reply icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%