Head Falling Off And Ripping Cake Apart... Help!

Decorating By Haimm01 Updated 1 Mar 2012 , 3:31am by Haimm01

Haimm01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Haimm01 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 5

I kind of expected this to happen... but was hopping against hope since I've been so lucky thus far. I'm brain storming ways to fix this, but any help would be appreciated. The head is made out of RKT on a thick wooden dowel that I stabbed all the way through the cake.

I ran out of ganache, so there's not as thick of a layer as I would have liked either.

You guys have been so much help!
LL

4 replies
Nancy_TX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy_TX Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 3:44am
post #2 of 5

I can't for the life of me figure out what that's a picture of so I'm just going off your verbal description.

If the head is that heavy, no amount of ganache is going to help. You need to have a dowel that's screwed into the board from the bottom. If it's too late and you can't do that, the only other option is to drive the dowel down into the base board and then leave the head off until you have the cake in it's final position for serving.

Haimm01 Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 4:02am
post #3 of 5

Sorry, the picture is so bad! I could figure out how to shrink the picture with out having to just crop it.

Yeah, it's too late. I think I'm just going to shove and wooden dowel underneath the head to support it. Not as nice looking, but lesson learned! Thank you so much for your help! icon_smile.gif

Nancy_TX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy_TX Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 4:08am
post #4 of 5

Is it something laying down? If so, put a fondant "pillow" under the head to cover the dowel.

Haimm01 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 3:31am
post #5 of 5

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2279562/serenity-from-firefly

I shoved a dowel under the head of the ship. Unfortunately, today randomly decided to reach 60 degrees which softened up the ganache and everything. It still ended up ripping, but everyone loved it and I got several compliments at the restaurant! Thanks for your feedback! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%