Convection Oven Or Conventional Oven?? Double Oven??

Decorating By Corinne77 Updated 28 Feb 2012 , 4:56pm by cai0311

Corinne77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corinne77 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 4

Hi - I'm looking for a new oven for my kitchen. It will be used almost equally for cooking dinners for my family and for my small home baking business. Should I get a convection oven?? Also, how about double ovens? Are they worth it?

Any advice would be so helpful!!

Thanks!

3 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 4

Our Atlanta house has double ovens and they are also convection. I love the double ovens as you can cook so many cakes in them and the convection worked beautifully. Can't go wrong with double's.
evelyn

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 4

I am also looking for a new oven. When I lived in Florida, I had the double oven and the bottom was a convection oven - it worked so much better -that I never even used the top at all! Now I live in NY and have a crappy oven that feels like it's from the 60's! I am looking for a convection oven b/c the difference is amazing.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 4

I have a convection oven at home that has the option of regular bake and convection bake. If I select convection bake I punch in the temp I would use for regular baking and the temp is automatically adjusted (lower by 25 degrees).

When I had just a regular oven I baked my cakes at 325 degrees. With the convection bake I punch in 375 degrees, the temp is automatically lowered to 350 degrees, and I get the same results (moist cake, no "hump"). I have NOT noticed the baking time being shorter using the convection oven but I can bake so much more at a time by using all 3 racks in the oven.

I can bake an entire 4 tier cake (2 12" round, 2 10" round, 2 8" round, 2 6" round) at the same time. Takes about 1 1/2 hours (baking and cooling time).

The main thing you have to look for is a true convection oven. Some ovens call themselves convection ovens because they have a fan, but they are not really convection ovens. The oven I have has a third heating element behind the fan so the air that is blown into the oven is the same temp as the oven. This is really the only way the entire oven is the same temp causing even baking.

The only negative I have is sometimes (not every time) the top the cake gets hard, almost crust like. I trim the top off of each cake so it doesn't matter and it doesn't affect the rest of the cake - just the top. I think it is because of the fan blowing on it but I am not sure. Like I said, it is only sometimes this happens.

Cupcaks, cookies and pies bake wonderfully too.

There is also a convection roast setting that makes the beautiful crispy skin on turkey.

I own the Samsung FTQ38LWGX. I bought it from Lowes for $1400 including installation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%