Beginner's Question...

Decorating By Sweet-Inspirations Updated 28 Feb 2012 , 7:03pm by Sweet-Inspirations

Sweet-Inspirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Inspirations Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 11

I know it may sound weird, but how do I get all of the air out of my icing bag.

I had a contract over the past weekend to bake 774 mini cupcakes for a charity event. Every one was pleased. they said it tasted amaxing and that they were just gorgeous, but being a perfectionnist, I found it could have been a bit better. The most annoying part was refilling my bag with icing after every 24 cupcakes iced -.- lol

I tried filling my bag half way then sorta squeezing it to take out all the air and after that filling it to the top, but still, every once in a while I would hear that *pop* sound of an air pocket coming out of the tip.

any suggestions?

thank you icon_smile.gif

10 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 11

You just have to pack it in tight and squeeze! I still get bubbles in my bags from time to time if I'm in a hurry. It especially sucks when you are trying to write on a cake, LOL.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 11

When your refilling your bag, fill it as normal. Than "burp" the bag. You just squeeze until you reach that air bubble between the old and new icing. If you fill halfway, burp it, than finish filling, you'll end up with an air bubble in the middle.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 11

I have tried this after seeing it posted on another section of CC... They called it the Plug Method...

Put your icing on a piece of plastic wrap and fold it so there is one open side and put that into your pastry bag... makes clean up easier too!

if you do a search for it, I am sure it will come up...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 11

I work the air bubble up the side of the bag.

Sweet-Inspirations Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 11

AAtKT, wouldn't that waste alot of icing though? since some would get caught up in the plastic wrap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalhounsCakery

When your refilling your bag, fill it as normal. Than "burp" the bag. You just squeeze until you reach that air bubble between the old and new icing. If you fill halfway, burp it, than finish filling, you'll end up with an air bubble in the middle.

hmmm thats what I tried before and after the half-way mark icon_confused.gif

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-Inspirations

AAtKT, wouldn't that waste alot of icing though? since some would get caught up in the plastic wrap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalhounsCakery

hmmm thats what I tried before and after the half-way mark icon_confused.gif

You initially said you were filling your bag in two steps. You can't do that and avoid air bubbles in the middle.

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 11

The plug method doesn't waste any more than you waste when its stuck to the sides of the bag when youv'e finished piping. Its alot less messy, and I prefer it.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 11

kisamarie answered just as I would have...

I find it much neater to use the plug method and what little gets wasted is worth it to me...

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 6:35pm
post #10 of 11

The plug method is so much easier and you can very easily use 2 or 3 colors as well.

Sweet-Inspirations Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 11

hmmmm

well you've all convinced me to try the plug method! Plus, I will try using 2 colors next time when I make my easter cupcakes icon_smile.gif

thanks guys

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%