Opinion On Salary

Business By Lenette Updated 28 Feb 2012 , 4:46pm by Unlimited

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 4

From your experience, is it a reasonable desire or expectation in this field to earn $25,000-$30,000 a year salary?

I would appreciate some thoughts on this from those who are more experienced, established, and/or savvy in the business for the sake of my continued discussion on this subject with some folks around here. Thank you. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 4

It all depends on so much. What market are you in? Where are you going to work? What type of bakery is it? Would you be a front line worker or a manager? How busy is the place? How much do they sell their product for?

Just to cover a $30K salary, you need to sell 10,000 cupcakes at $3each. That's 2 1/2 dozen cupcakes every day for a year.That does not include health insurance, vacation days, overhead.

Impossible to answer here. I would start interviewing to see if it could happen where you are.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 4

I apologize for not being more specific but thanks for the reply.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 4

If you're talking about working for someone elseyes, it's possible, but probably only if you are a journeyman cake decorator in the baker's union.

If you're talking about working for yourselfas the boss, you write your own paycheck, so based on what percentage of your potential market that you can get or choose to accept, it's very likely if you're a highly-skilled, hard-working, fast-enough, go-getter type of person or have enough money to pay your employees to do the work for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%