Cake Mix For Tiered Cake

Baking By Aish90 Updated 15 Jan 2013 , 5:35am by JanH

Aish90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aish90 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 10

Is there any way i can use cake mix box to make a tiered cake without it braking? I really like the french villa and white cake mix from betty crocker and would like to use them but there are so soft they break...is there a way to make them more dense?

Also does anyone know a good chocolate cake recipe I can use for a tiered cake too? The one I use is also very moist and breaks.

9 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 10

A lot people on CC use the WASC cake base, but use different puddings and extracts as needed.

For example, for the chocolate cake you would use chocolate pudding and either vanilla extract or no extract.
The combinations are endless when you use this recipe for the base of your cakes. Also, the cakes are moist and durable so you can use them for stacked cakes.

Just do a search in the recipes for WASC and tons will pop up.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 10

When, how are they breaking??

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 12:10am
post #4 of 10

adding sour cream to the box mix will make them more dense.

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 12:37am
post #5 of 10

I've been reading the Cake Mix Doctor and she says: " ease up on the sour cream and become accustomed to a moist, wet cake" when using a mix with pudding included. I use an extender that does not include sc or pudding and the cake is denser. I started using extenders because of the crumbly texture of my PB and BC cakes. Do a search for extenders and try one that doesen't include pudding or sc. If you can't find one PM me and I'll give you mine. HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 3:51am
post #6 of 10

Of course it is possible to make a mix cake w/o it breaking.
As was asked, when is it breaking?
You are doing something wrong when taking the cake out of the pan. Have you properly greased and floured the pan so the cake just falls out? It will stick if you haven't.
Does it have a hump in the middle? If so you are baking it at too high a temp - lower the oven temp to 300 or 325 and bake a few minutes longer.
When you take the cake out of the oven, lay a clean kitchen towel over it and press down w/the cooling rack to eliminate that hump before turning the cake out of the pan.

Aish90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aish90 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 10

Sorry for replying late. The cake breaks when I take it out of the pan...or even when moving it around...just really soft...

cubbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cubbycakes Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 10

I have made several stacked cakes from box cake mix with no problems. Are you allowing the cakes to cook and settle before you stack them? I usually leave mine overnight once cooked before I start leveling and stacking. I am pretty new to this so maybe i am missing something?

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 4:57am
post #9 of 10

I'm a 2 year hobby baker and usually make doctored cake mix recipes using either sour cream or pudding. They hold up just fine.

Although I haven't tried it yet, the WASC gets rave reviews from LOTS of people. (I've just been very happy with my doctored recipes. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".)

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 5:35am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aish90 

Sorry for replying late. The cake breaks when I take it out of the pan...or even when moving it around...just really soft...

The cakes should be cooled on racks for a short time (10 mins. or so) and removed while still slightly warm so that the shortening and or/flour used

to dust your pans doesn't get cold and act like glue.

Additionally, the cakes should be flipped (using two cooling racks) so that they're once again "right side" up and not resting on their domes (which

will cause cracking).

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%