Royal Icing: Problems Getting Egg-White Stiff

Decorating By bcwalti Updated 29 Feb 2012 , 6:02pm by KoryAK

bcwalti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcwalti Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:28am
post #1 of 10

Today I made Royal Icing for the second time. Again, I had quite some problems beating the egg-whites stiff. I use the Kitchen-Aid machine, but to me, it seems that the wire attachement doesn't reach the bottom of the bowl, and then it's almost impossible to beat 1 egg-white stiff. Last time I added some salt and that did the trick, but this time even adding salt didn't help.

I was at the Connecticut Cake Show last weekend and there one instructor mentioned that she always makes only small batches of Royal Icing in a small cup, by hand. But I remember trying to whip egg whites by hand until they become almost stiff (back in the days when I didn't have a Kitchen Aid machine), and that was pretty much impossible!

So, how do you make your Royal Icing if you just want to make a small batch? Do I have to invest in a hand-held mixer?

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:46am
post #2 of 10

Sounds like you need to adjust the bowl of the mixer. I'm sorry I din't know how but have read past posts on here that there is a screw I think that will raise the bowl so the beaters reach the bottom.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:48am
post #3 of 10

I never whip my whites. When I make royal, I just mix powdered sugar into whites with a paddle in my Kitchenaid, adding more sugar until I have the right consistency. Too stiff? More whites. I'd think this is the same idea with one one-egg-in-a-bowl-by-hand method.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 10

I chill my whisk and bowl to help it peak faster. Are you using carton egg whites or did you separate the eggs yourself?

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 10

I would use some meringue powder or if you prefer using real egg white some cream of tarter. I live in Florida where humidity is a problems with Royal and adding cream of tarter always seems to help make my Royal icing stiff.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 10

I do the same as KoryAK does. As long as my implements are grease-free I have never had a problem.

~Chelle

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 7:32am
post #7 of 10

I don't think you have to whip your white until its stiff, I just add lemon, mix a little then add the icing sugar and its fine.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 8:03am
post #8 of 10

You know you can freeze it. It lasts a very long time. Why not just make a large batch and use what you need when you need it?

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 10:22am
post #9 of 10

I am wondering why whites have to be whipped stiff for royal icing. May someone please enlighten me?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 10

I have no idea, Rosech, I have never heard of it! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%