Scratch Mocha Cake Recipe?

Baking By Debbye27 Updated 28 Feb 2012 , 3:30pm by AnnieCahill

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 10

I didn't find many in the gallery and only one with okay reviews. I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for mocha cake that they could share?
Thanks!
Debbye

9 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 10

I just use my base vanilla cake recipe and sub out some of the liquid for coffee and add mini choc. chips. Whimsical Bakehouse also has a good recipe. Google "Freckled Mocha Cake" and you should find it.

Debbye27 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 10

thanks, do you think I could use instant coffee powder rather then espresso powder?

FullHouse Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 10

Espresso is a richer flavor, instant coffee powder tends to have a very different taste than regular coffee, so not sure I would use it in a cake (unless my family are the guinea pigs).

Debbye27 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 10

got it, will get some espresso powder, thanks!

FullHouse Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 10

Or strong, fresh brewed coffee.

Cassie18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie18 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 10

I make this one all the time and it's fabulous and always gets rave reviews:

[/u]Mocha Fudge Cake with Coffee Icing

For the icing:
175g plain chocolate (70%), melted
50g unsalted butter, melted
150ml double-strength espresso
1 tsp vanilla extract
300g icing sugar

For the cake:
300g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs separated
125ml whole milk
4 tbsp instant coffee granules
85g unsalted butter
280g caster sugar
85g plain chocolate (70%) melted
125ml soured cream

Whisk together the cooled icing ingredients, cover and chill for 3-4 hours

Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan)/ gas . Butter and flour two 20cm/8in cake tins.

Sift the flour and baking powder. Stir the vanilla into the egg yolks. Heat half the milk to boiling point, stir in the coffee to dissolve then add the rest of the milk and cool

Cream the butter and 200g of the caster sugar. Slowly whisk in the egg yolk mixture, then the melted chocolate. Fold in the sifted dry ingredients, the cooled milk and the soured cream. Whisk the egg whites until stiff; whisk in the remaining sugar to form firm peaks. Fold the egg whites inot the cake mixture and divide evenly between the tins.

Bake for 30 minutes, until risen. Cool and split each cake in two and layer with the icing

[/i]

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:12am
post #8 of 10

You can use your favorite chocolate cake recipe and substitute the liquid with strongly brewed coffeee and add a couple of tablespoons of espresso powder to the dry ingredents.

One of my family's favorites is when I make a mocha cake with hazelnut coffee and ice with hazelnut buttercream thumbs_up.gif.

Debbye27 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 10

Ahhh why didn't I check this last night?? I used a mocha recipe online, and it didn't work - I made vanilla cupcakes, chocolate cupcakes, and mocha cupcakes...and there is almost no difference in the mocha or chocolate! I used strong brewed coffee (even slightly extra) and cannot taste the mocha! I should have put espresso powder in it, I bought it last night, but the recipe I found didn't call for it! Thanks for sharing though, I will try next time!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 10

You will find that adding strongly brewed coffee to chocolate just deepens the chocolate flavor. I would reduce the chocolate in your recipe (or use a milder chocolate recipe) and use the brewed coffee plus some espresso powder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%