Dumb Question...wedding Next Weekend

Business By Pebbles1727 Updated 29 Feb 2012 , 7:56pm by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 5:21am
post #1 of 27

Allrighty you all,
I'm a little lost on this situation, so any advise be appreciated. I have a wedding coming up this weekend for a bride who was a bit indecisive on whole bunch of details about her cake. I finally got her flavors and design nailed down only couple of weeks ago. Anywho, one of the elements is the ribbon and she finally decided that she wants to use 1 inch wide ribbon in gold on her cake. I told her that I'll look for it and will let her know asap if I can find it locally, if not, she'll be responsible for providing it to me to ensure it's exactly what she wants. I went out the same day and did not find what I believed "gold" was, so e-mailed her and let her know that local stores do not carry the right ribbon and that she needs to mail/deliver it to me. I copied her wedding coordinator on it as well. The coordinator promptly e-mailed me back and let me know there is a change of plans and color is no longer gold but champagne, she had a sash for me to match the color. I went and picked up the sash, but as soon as I saw it I knew that I cannot find ribbon of that color (just been to all the stores looking at the ribbons). E-mailed them both back asking for ribbon again. Got a response from a wedding coordinator saying never mind about the sash, color of ribbon on the cake will be different. Allrighty, "get me the ribbon" whatever color it is. Coordinator says that she knows exactly what the bride wants and will get me the ribbon. Fastforward to now. Since I still don't have the ribbon, I e-mail both ladies again asking for it. Hear back from the coordinator, she says she has got the ribbon and will drop it off, however, the ribbon is wider than 1 inch and to let her know if it won't work, but that's all she could find locally. Well, the only thing I know for sure is that the ribbon is to be 1 inch wide, I'm not even certain on the color at this point, so according to my understanding ribbon wider than 1 inch will not work, and if we are still in the "gold" color mode, local stores did not have what was needed to begin with...It needed to be shopped for somewhere else or ordered. Still no word from the bride by the way. So...what now? Do I just take whatever it is and go with it? What if the width is not the only problem?
Sorry this is so longwinded. I'm sure the answer is very very simple, right? So lay it on me.
Thanks, P

26 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 5:29am
post #2 of 27

basically, all of this should've been decided at least a month in advance...well you know that. their problem is NOT your problem and if the ribbon is too wide you will have to say "well, that's what you provided me". if it's in your contract to have a ribbon that is gold...then i would cross it out of the contract and put in the new situation and make the event coordinator initial near it so that if you have a problem later it's not on you.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 5:35am
post #3 of 27

I would make a fondant ribbon. Just color it to match whatever color they want. You can size it as you need it too. Pearlize it or leave it plain. If they don't have an answer for you on color I would make the ribbon white (or cream...depending on the color of the cake) and just pearl dust it and call it a day! It will look nice.

fl_cake_lover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fl_cake_lover Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 5:36am
post #4 of 27

Wow! You're doing a lot of driving and work for this ribbon. I hope you charged enough for this hassle!

If it were me, I would leave a space for a 1" ribbon as planned and see if they can have something for you to put on the day of the wedding. If not, buy white ribbon or even an off-white sometime this week in the size you need and be done with it. At this point, they get what they get.

Add to your contract that design elements may not be changed after a certain date. If they need to be, more money will be required!

Good luck!

Pebbles1727 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 5:44am
post #5 of 27

Unfortunately, it's not in the contract, it's just noted as "possible ribbon, provided by the bride" (she did not know at the time what she wanted. Contract has been signed months ago but the bride did not decide on her final design and flavors until last month, which still was about a month before the wedding date. With my schedule I don't continuously check my schedule and contracts to see if I have what I need, I just do it a week before the event as I'm getting ready for my upcoming week. So when I was going through it today, I noticed that I don't have a ribbon for this wedding. Brides continuously ship me ribbons, toppers, specific decoration, etc, for their cakes, so I just file them as I get them. This is just the first one who is cutting this close and I'm now worried it's not going to be what she wants, especially since she is not responding to the emails.

Pebbles1727 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 5:51am
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

Wow! You're doing a lot of driving and work for this ribbon. I hope you charged enough for this hassle!

LOL, not really I was going all of those places anyways.

Quote:
Quote:

Add to your contract that design elements may not be changed after a certain date. If they need to be, more money will be required!

That part is in the contract, and the bride did decide on gold satin 1 inch ribbon before the lock out date. I have an e-mail from her confirming that fact to me twice. The wedding coordinator is the one who seems to be changing things, it's just that noone has gotten me the ribbon yet.

Quote:
Quote:

I would make a fondant ribbon. Just color it to match whatever color they want. You can size it as you need it too. Pearlize it or leave it plain. If they don't have an answer for you on color I would make the ribbon white (or cream...depending on the color of the cake) and just pearl dust it and call it a day! It will look nice.

I always worry about doing that because I never seem to color fondant that "exact" color someone wants, but I may have too. I don't know what would be better go with a wider ribbon I get or make a fondant one in the "wrong" color, LOL I probably stressing myself out for nothing....

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 6:42am
post #7 of 27

If you're afraid of matching fondant color...then go with the gold! It will be the right size, it will look pretty. I love to use gold! And yes, you're stressing too much. Obviously they aren't! Have they paid in full yet? I hope so!

Pebbles1727 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

If you're afraid of matching fondant color...then go with the gold! It will be the right size, it will look pretty. I love to use gold! And yes, you're stressing too much. Obviously they aren't! Have they paid in full yet? I hope so!

Thanks! I'll just do that! And yes, they did way in advance of the due date. I'm all good there.
Thanks again icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 27

I would send an email to both the bride and planner saying that since they did not get you the ribbon in time that you will use decorator's judgement as to the best way to execute the cake design. Then either do a fondant ribbon or find something that will work and still be pretty on the cake.

Pebbles1727 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 4:36pm
post #10 of 27

Have the ribbon, it was left at my door this morning. It is 1.5 inches, thin silk with wired edges, not 1 inch satin with unwired edges as requested. It is going to be a pain to wrap around the cake and i'm afraid it will soak oil from buttercream too quickly. Have to figure out how to make it work...
Thanks you all

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 4:40pm
post #11 of 27

I would tell them wired ribbon WILL NOT WORK. It's going to be a pain in the A$$ to wrap around a cake. At this late date I would use a fondant ribbon.

Pebbles1727 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 4:45pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

I would tell them wired ribbon WILL NOT WORK

Ok, can you give me some pointers of why it will not work? I never tried, I just always assumed it will not work...thanks

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 4:48pm
post #13 of 27

It will be hard to keep straight and wire will cut into cake.

fl_cake_lover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fl_cake_lover Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 4:56pm
post #14 of 27

You can use acetate behind the ribbon on BC cakes. I have it in a big roll from KopyKake called Klear Kake Band, but I think Michael's sells acetate in sheets. Cut strips to match the height and length of your ribbon, wrap it around the cake and tape it in the back. Wrap your ribbon around and use a bit of icing or double sided tape to secure the ribbon and you're done. Maybe it would help you since you have wire in the ribbon to give you more control of it.

Pebbles1727 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 5:02pm
post #15 of 27

Ok, thanks, I assumed those things but good to know from someone who tried.
Thanks again, P

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 6:54pm
post #16 of 27

You can de-wire ribbon! I used to hate it too before I figured this out and now it's great because sometimes you can only find the color/size you need in wired. Cut the size piece you need, and just pull each wire out gently with pliers. If the piece is long, you may have to futz with it a bit: hold the wire with the pliers in your right hand, scrunch the ribbon down the wire a few inches then move that scrunch down, down, down until it's freed off the back end. Repeat.

Pebbles1727 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 6:56pm
post #17 of 27

Ahhhhh, good suggestions! I'll check on the acetate paper. When de-wiring, do you do both sides or just the top edge?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 8:10pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles1727

Have the ribbon, it was left at my door this morning. It is 1.5 inches, thin silk with wired edges, not 1 inch satin with unwired edges as requested. It is going to be a pain to wrap around the cake and i'm afraid it will soak oil from buttercream too quickly. Have to figure out how to make it work...
Thanks you all

You can usually just pull the wires out. I do it all the time.

Rae

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 9:05pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles1727

Thanks you all

silk is definitely going to get greasy...and i've tried do so something on the back of those ribbons, it just messes up. do a test before you even try to do it on the cake. sorry they are uncooperative :p

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 10:47pm
post #20 of 27

Just spray the whole ribbon down with Pam before you add it to the cake. It will get a little bit darker, but it will be even and not splotchy.

Pebbles: de-wire both sides.

Pebbles1727 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 10:57pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

Just spray the whole ribbon down with Pam before you add it to the cake. It will get a little bit darker, but it will be even and not splotchy.

Love it!!!! Just grease that thing before putting it on a cake so it will look even. Why didn't I think of that ?! thumbs_up.gif

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 11:31pm
post #22 of 27

I also find that the oil helps it to stick to the cake, no extra icing or anything required. Just remember in the future to tell brides that you have to treat the ribbon and it will end up a shade darker, so that way they pick out a ribbon slightly lighter than they are looking for.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 11:35pm
post #23 of 27

what I do is put a thinner strip of WAX paper on back side of ribbon and seal ribbon on the wax paper , with a tiny bit of piping gel on ends and in middle(very little to smear on so no smudging shows), THEN I wrap ribbon around cake and seal the wax paper to cake with a little piping gel smeared on, all around to stick or in little areas,,just so it seals..It works great for me and no ribbon touching cake hardly nor dampness seaping through ribbon.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 12:03am
post #24 of 27

yep, de-wire and pre-grease. Also, you may have to wrap twice. Once you pull that ribbon off the roll, it will not look the same bold color as it does on the roll. I've had to do it before- I think I had to triple wrap to get the desired color.

BlueRose8302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRose8302 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:19am
post #25 of 27

I would still go with the fondant. I trust it more and think it is less hassle. Cutting and pulling out the wire and worrying about the grease....ugh. I would tell the bride it is just not what you were expecting and the date is so late that you just have to use your best judgement.

But you make your decision! I know it will be a great cake since you are putting so much time and effort into it!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:47am
post #26 of 27

Fondant ribbon. Much easier.

Pebbles1727 Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 7:56pm
post #27 of 27

Thanks you all for the input! I'm grateful for all the nice tips on using a ribbon, but for this one I'm going with fondant ribbon. All in all, it was more important to the bride to keep 1 inch requirement rather than the ribbon.
Thanks again, P

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%