What Tip Do I Use To Get This Effect?

Decorating By Thebuttercreamery Updated 28 Feb 2012 , 10:32pm by Thebuttercreamery

Thebuttercreamery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thebuttercreamery Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 12

I want to use the wavy effect in the pic below, but I don't know which tip I should use? Help!
LL

11 replies
Cupcakeluv24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeluv24 Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 12

Star tip? tight quick pressure then let off. Its hard to see in this picture couldn't tell even with blowing it up.HTH

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 12

That is an example of overpiping. The artist used different tips to get the effect by piping a design with one tip. then going over the same design with a new tip.

It looks like they may have used a star tip for the thicker first layer of piping. It looks like it has the ridges along the whole design. The upper layer looks smooth. The overall curve and the piping skills show in the design.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 12

I am pretty sure that is a Wilton #86 ruffle tip used upside down.
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 12

matthewkyrankelly:......That is an example of overpiping. The artist used different tips... going over the same design with a new tip....looks like they may have used a star tip for the thicker first layer of piping..... The upper layer looks smooth. The overall curve and the piping skills show in the design.

Exactly. Some people refer to this as Lambeth method. It is not done w/just one tip but as many as 5 different ones.

sing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sing Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 1:42am
post #6 of 12

Wow!! I like that technique, if you have a chance to try it please post some pics!

Good luck!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 1:53am
post #7 of 12

That is definitely overpiping.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 2:55am
post #8 of 12

I think star tip around the base and on top it looks like overpiping with the rose tip. I personally, do not see a star tip in the top edge.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 8:12am
post #9 of 12

If want to do the top border, watch the above on youtube. Peggy Addo does a similar border with a 43 closed rope tube (pme)

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 11:58am
post #10 of 12

That is the same video I was looking for. It's star tip scrolls overpiped and then overpiped again with a plain round tube.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 12

You had my curiosity up after looking at your photo, so I looked at some videos. It looks like it is done with a frill tip.

Thebuttercreamery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thebuttercreamery Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 10:32pm
post #12 of 12

@subaru, I think you're right! I can see that there is pink piped over the white, but underneath definitely looks like the tip you suggested- ruffled at the bottom and smooth at the top (with an overlay of pink). Thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%