Help Needed-How To Make A Sock Monkey Cake

Decorating By patty7276 Updated 20 Apr 2013 , 6:22am by MyMacka

patty7276 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty7276 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 17

About to attempt my first sock monkey cake. Want to make either a 3-d medium sized monkey to sit on top of cake, or perhaps a whole cake as a monkey. Am seeking advice from anyone who has done a sock monkey--not sure how to go about this. Thank you!

16 replies
amandaluvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandaluvscakes Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 17

I just made one this weekend. I formed the monkey out of chocolate gum paste - it was super easy. Here is a picture of it. let me know if you have any questions
LL

lovemy2boys0715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovemy2boys0715 Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 17

HI i would love to know how you made that cake and the sock monkey. please hust let me know. my son would love it.

libs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libs Posted 31 May 2012 , 3:34am
post #4 of 17

that cake looks suspiciously familiar LOL! I never knew my sock monkey cake was ever going to be so popular. For my cake i used chocolate fondant or the monkey and a knitting impression mat that i made myself to get the knitted pattern. the rest is just fondant covered with usual stripes and dots and argyle etc, if you do use fondant though for your monkey make sure that you add tylose to it so that your monkey holds his shape better! hope this helps some one.

http://libbyscakecreations.com/uploads/Sock-Monkey-Cake2.gif

SHiggins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHiggins Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 17

how did you make your knitting impressionmat?  Just curious!

EllaKaySweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllaKaySweets Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 17

Could i ask what you made your impression mat out of. I was asked to create a cake similar to yours, With a sock monkey and the argyle, and i am having a time figuring out whats the best way to get the good impression on the monkey. I will say your monkey is one of the bests i have seen as far as texture and looking realistic. Thank you for any help! :)

Got Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Got Cake Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 12:40am
post #7 of 17

How did you make the hat and pom pom on top and the sock monkey?  I have been asked to make a similar cake.  I would appreciate any help.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 1:05am
post #8 of 17

Hereis a tutorial on how to do the monkey:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03jpbL2Ljfs

SHiggins Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 17

I followed that video tutorial for a baby shower cake I just did and this was my monkey.  Changes I made was instead of painting royal icing on I got a brand new dobby sponge and pressed a knitted pattern into it before it was dry.  I saw that on another post and it gave it great texture.  I also did 2 black balls flattened for eyes but then I poked 4 indentations in each to make them look more like buttons.  I made my fringe on the hat from my extruder and then followed same technique and last I added a red heart then painted the heart with red disco dust mixed with piping gel...

SHiggins Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 17

not sure why my picture did not appear but here it is again

I made this gumpaste sock monkey following a youtube video I watched fhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03jpbL2Ljfs  difference is I pressed in texture with a new sponge, I used an extruder, made buttons for the eyes and added a heart.

libs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libs Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 4:57pm
post #11 of 17

I know where you can actually by that set of toppers already made!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/121961639/sock-monkey-fondant-cake-toppers-and

Good luck with your cakesicon_biggrin.gif

littlemrslarge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemrslarge Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 17

I did a very simple piped sock monkey cake last year - keep in mind, I'm a self-taught amateur, nowhere near the caliber of some folks here! :-)  Anyway, I freehanded the shape, and used a small star tip to (hopefully) be reminiscent of the knitted texture.  The gray icing is actually Oreo buttercream - so it has that "marled" look to it instead of a flat gray.  So just another idea for you!

Little boy's 1st birthday, 2012

JLCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JLCustomCakes Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:02am
post #13 of 17

Hello!

I have been asked to make your cake too!!!! how did you make the knitting mat? and how did you make the stitching on the middle tier?? please help!

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:58am
post #14 of 17

I just posted my version of a sock monkey cake...it's in the "newest cakes" gallery.

Question:  This post was started last year....why is it coming up again?  Did someone do a search for sock money and then bump it back into circulation?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 1:32am
post #15 of 17

ALook at post #7

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 5:15pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

Look at post #7

LOL...I don't know how I can be so observant about some things and so oblivious to others....

MyMacka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyMacka Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 6:22am
post #17 of 17

OK, but how do you make an impression mat?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%