Friday Night Cake Club 2/24/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 26 Feb 2012 , 7:19am by theicedqueen

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 11:06am
post #31 of 40

im still plugging along. didnt realize how much i still had to do.
definately let me know when you post a picture i would love to see it.
if you are going to harden the black background with candy melts you can put a stick or dowel in it to harden then stick in cake to make the topper stand up.
i agree the monster high logo is very tricky. the lines are so small.
wierd thing is-when i doing the MH cake, that was probably the only thing that came out ok.
did you get some rest or are you still caking?

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 3:09pm
post #32 of 40

Finished it up about 30-40 mins ago... but family is up so it looks like no nap until it is picked up at noon. I ended up laying the skull on the top tier cause I was worried it would fall over. Better safe than sorry. I handpainted the shield logo and it came out okay, would of like it cleaner but I will take what I can.

Hope all is gong good with you and can't wait to see pics.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 3:43pm
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I am testing a new recipe...Blue Moon cupcakes, similar to the Guinness choc cake but with white cake and blue moon beer. If they're a success I'll post the recipe.
Another experiment tonight was to finally try the Whipped cream buttercream recipe I've been eyeing for a while. All I can say is OMG! It's awesome. I actually don't like frosting and this is just off the charts yummy! It's kind of a mix of a meringue bc and an American buttercream. I'm not sure how it will smooth but I'm definately willing to work a little harder for this taste icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/whipped-cream-buttercream-frosting

Blue Moon is my favorite beer! If that works out let me know!

mplaidgirl2 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 3:49pm
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirlcakes

Well it is 3am where I am at and I still have tons to do. Cakes are baked and fondant accents made but I still have to make, fill and stack my cakes! It is a 2 tier round (6"/8") Monster High cake. I love the design I came up with cause it was ambitious for me but as much as I love it I couldn't find the want to get up and work on it, lol. SO now I am kicking myself in the butt cause it is super late and I am getting tired but it has to be ready for pick up by noon, Saturday. Up I get to make my filling, fill and stack. Then buttercream it and let it set... catch a few hours sleep then up to get the decoration on... unless I catch a second wind and get it all done before I crash out. Wish me luck!

I did a Monster High cake a couple weeks ago. It was actually a mash up with her beloved 'rock Guitar' a 3 year old that knew exactly what she wanted.
Can't wait to see yours!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2223993/monster-high-cake?sub=2223996

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 5:14pm
post #35 of 40

Wow! A lot of you are doing some really ambitious projects! I do hope they all turned out great! Please do share them with us when you are done? It's noon back East so I'm hoping the delivery went very well and you are sound asleep right now!

Cat

carolinagirlcakes Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 11:41pm
post #36 of 40

Well they picked up the cake around 12:30 and they loved it. Now waiting to hear back on flavor icon_smile.gif I was able to sleep for 4-4.5 hours. Now sitting around watching tv with the fam and about to get up to cook something for dinner before I start on my cupcake order... only 20 but still gotta figure out a design icon_eek.gif

If it attached correctly this is the finished cake. Tried adding other views and my inspiration but it attaches like 3-4 copies and I don't know why. So to see other views check out my gallery.
LL
LL

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 2:43am
post #37 of 40

Oh my gosh that is SOOOo cute! Thank you so much for sharing!

Cat

mplaidgirl2 Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 3:44am
post #38 of 40

Your monster high cake came out so cute!

carolinagirlcakes Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 3:50am
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Oh my gosh that is SOOOo cute! Thank you so much for sharing!

Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplaidgirl2

Your monster high cake came out so cute!

Thanks!! I really loved the design I came up with and thought it turned out pretty good. I still need to get better with my buttercream looking more finished. I use an American BC (1/2 stick crisco, 1 stick butter) and love it and get good compliments on it but thinking I need to start experimenting with others. When my Mom gets around to ordering them I will be getting Sugarshack BC DVD's for my bday which was over a month ago, lol. So hoping they help me perfect my BC work icon_biggrin.gif

theicedqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theicedqueen Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 7:19am
post #40 of 40

I recently discovered the Friday Night Cake Club; what a great concept and community! I love seeing what everybody's up to. I had no projects for others this weekend, so I'm road tripping. HOWEVER, I'm sticking to my New Year's Resolution of writing a daily cake decorating blog, so I have my KitchenAid stand mixer and 2 huge plastic boxes of gear in tow. Here's what I've posted from the road this weekend so far:
http://theicedqueen.blogspot.com/2012/02/royal-icing-bird-nests-with-eggs.html
http://theicedqueen.blogspot.com/2012/02/gum-paste-briar-rose-wilton-course-4.html
I'll look for you next Friday; good luck with everything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%