I Need Help With A Design Idea

Decorating By lovetobakecakes Updated 26 Feb 2012 , 3:32am by supatrukka

lovetobakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetobakecakes Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 10

Alrighty ladies,

I have a client who wants a wedding cake. three tiers no biggy but I am kind of at a loss with the colors ashe has picked. Lavender and White. Sounds great but she also wants strawberries all over this cake and I'm sitting here trying to figure out a way to make this cake withou it coming off a little "young" I dunno? I just don't see these colors vibing. I suggested she go with the red and white just like the cake photo she showed me. She wants ribbon, swiss dots, strawberries and I am free to do whatever I want as long as I incorpoarte those three things. I know this isn't so bad I don't know why I have a hard time seeing this but I do. Ladies your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

9 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 10

What if you made fondant or gumpaste strawberries & used then as you might use clusters or gumpaste flowers.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 10

Can you share the picture that she gave you? Maybe use gumpaste strawberries with the ribbon?

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 10

I suggest you dip the strawberries in white chocolate. She'll get the strawberries she wants, and you'll have a beautiful white and lavender cake.

sing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sing Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetcaking

I suggest you dip the strawberries in white chocolate. She'll get the strawberries she wants, and you'll have a beautiful white and lavender cake.

Very creative idea, pleasing both the client and the cake maker thumbs_up.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 10

What if the whole cake was white and lavender like she asked. However, you could also add small wispy strawberry plants with small wild strawberries. They could either be piped or fondant with a 2-D or 3-D effect depending on what your final design was. You could even add small white strawberry flowers to the design adding to the whole floral design.

If done with a light hand, the green would be a nice accent and the little hits of red would be nice.

IvyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IvyCakes Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 12:46am
post #7 of 10

This is the idea I came up with from what you described: Image
Using the ribbon tutorial from NYC Cake Girl: http://nyccakegirl.com/2011/08/16/how-to-decorate-a-sweet-wedding-cake-really-this-is-a-step-by-step/

And if she wants even more strawberries, maybe slicing them in half, laying them flat side down along the top of the middle tier to create a border effect. Or to make the whole idea a lot easier, nix the fondant ribbons and just put a real satin ribbon around the bottom of each tier. Just some ideas.icon_biggrin.gif

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 12:54am
post #8 of 10

Isn't it funny how many different ideas you got from everyone. I envisioned an iced white cake with borders of lavender ribbon bands, against the ribbons a green vine of alpine strawberries in fondant and little white strawberry flowers then you can cluster the Swiss dots on the cake in threes here and there and place larger real strawberries on top in the center drizzled with white chocolate.

lovetobakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetobakecakes Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 3:25am
post #9 of 10

You ladies have been sooooo helpful! I don't know why I can't get these colors to mesh in my head but all I see is a strawberry shortcake cake (you know the cartoon). I love the ideas of the white chocolate dipped strawberries! Lots of great ideas! Thank you ladies so much. I will post a picture of the cake when I am finished......oh and the cake that she wanted was done by a fellow ccer.......karen0120
LL

supatrukka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supatrukka Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 3:32am
post #10 of 10

I like the idea of dipped strawberries too. However l think lavendar coloured chocolate shards around the sides with a wide satin ribbon bow ( maybe cream ) would look really good. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%