Mickey Head-Serious Help!!

Decorating By Mommyto3Boys719 Updated 24 Feb 2012 , 8:59pm by labelle24

Mommyto3Boys719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyto3Boys719 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 3:20am
post #1 of 8

Hi! I am making a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake or my son's 3rd birthday. I am planning on making a rice krispie head and covering it in black fondant to sit on top of the red clubhouse. My questions are:

1. Once I make the head part, how do I attach the rice krispie treat round ears? Do I make them on dowels to poke in the head or will buttercream be enough? The finished head will be about the size of a softball.

2. How do I cover the head and ears with fondant so that I don't end up with ugly wrinkles?

3. What is the order in which I should make the head, ears, attach the parts, and cover in fondant?

Sorry for all of these questions! I'm hoping someone here can help me!!

7 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 3:28am
post #2 of 8

I would make the Head out of RKT but I would probably make the ears out of just gumpaste... Or out of just fondant if it has plenty of time to dry. I would cover the head and ear seperate so you can get it nice and smooth

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 3:37am
post #3 of 8

I AM MAKING A MINNIE MOUSE CAKE THIS WEEKEND AS WELL...I PLAN ON DOING AS THE PREVIOUS COMMENTOR STATED AND COVER THE HEAD SEPERATELY. MY EARS WILL BE MADE OUT OF GUMPASTE WITH DOWELS IN THE CENTER SO I CAN JUST STICK THEM IN THE HEAD. BC WILL NOT HOLD THE WEIGHT OF THE EARS.

boricuagirl2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boricuagirl2u Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 3:51am
post #4 of 8

around a year ago or so i did the same cake, since it was for my godson i decided to go with styrofoam ball to match the size of the red bottom of the house i wrap it in plastic wrap and covered it with modeling chocolate , for my personal experience works d best because u dont have seams and it seal and smooths easy the bit of steam will take care of the rest as well for the ears( ears i used after covering them with d chocolate i attached a toothpick to conect both ears and head) , its lighter in weight and can be prepared in advance for modeling chocolate i use one package of wilton chocolate wafers melted at this point a add food coloring and 1/3 cup of light corn syrup, it will give u the impression u mest up de recipe but in fact u havent, continue to stir into clumpy and let rest to cool down,,once it starts to cool down i suggest to knead because the oils of the chocolate wafer separates so u need to blend them back together until ready to use....hope this was very useful ...good luck

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 4:53am
post #5 of 8

boricuagirl2u did you use gel food coloring?

boricuagirl2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boricuagirl2u Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 8

yes

tjsturm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjsturm Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 8

I would love to see what you end up with. I attempted this about 1.5 years ago and tried a few different things and didn't like any of them and ended up giving up - due to no more time. I did recently see someone make a half circle with a balloon and dipping it into chocolate and thought maybe that would work for the head as well - dipping the whole thing into the chocolate and popping the balloon to get it out. Just a thought and not something I have ever tried but thought it would be light enough to stack on top (if it worked).

labelle24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labelle24 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 8

I feel like I make at least 2 of these month...soooo over mickey, lol...but I'm actually making one right now. I always use the wilton sports ball pan for the head and make it out of cake, it works perfectly. Then I make the ears out of half fondant half gumpaste and air brush or paint them black when the dry (just so they are a nice crisp black). Make sure you put wooden skewers in each ear before they dry. Then you just stick em right into the cake.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225008_1951346300591_1150642315_2255608_3112549_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/301804_2276940080232_1150642315_2670203_4193206_n.jpg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%