What Steamer To Use?

Decorating By QuebecGirl Updated 29 Feb 2012 , 12:58pm by QuebecGirl

QuebecGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuebecGirl Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 5

What steamer do you use? What features should I look for when shopping for one? Do you know models that work great for cakes? What about those that we should avoid?

I don't use one right now but I am considering one for the future and I have no idea where to start, there are so many different models and the price range is all over the place icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for your insight!

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 4:42am
post #2 of 5

I have, and love, Joy Mangano's My Little Steamer.

Rae

QuebecGirl Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I have, and love, Joy Mangano's My Little Steamer.

Rae

Thank you much, that gives me a point to start. And it is not too expensive either.

esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 5

i'm in love with my shark steamer. i got it on onesaleaday . com for under $20 and its just amazing. It heats up super fast, and it came with attachments to point the steam so if i'm steaming under something or on top, I don't have to tilt it, which is when disasters happen as sometimes it can drip. I actually had to buy 2, one to use for my cakes and one to clean with cause it does an incredible job cleaning tough tasks like my oven! if you watch the site, they usually have a shark sale every so often and you can score it then, just sign up for their emails.

Advice for a newbie with a steamer, get to know your steamer. The first few puffs of my shark drip, so i always plug it in and pump it 5-10 times... when its hot the steam will automatically shoot out and that seems to clear the line. never put the steamer too close to the cake, and if you use too much steam, the colors of your fondant will run. I've noticed this not so much with other colors, but black is the worst!!! if you want just a little bit of shine, use a lil steam... if you want a glossy brilliant shine, keep going back over it every so often. I was able to get an amazing shine for a football helmet with just my steamer. always make sure you brush off excess powdered sugar, as if theres a glob of it, it wont always come out. and make sure you steam when you no longer need to touch the cake, as you will leave finger prints. always steam before adding anything that has to hold its shape out of just fondant, as it will cause fondant to wilt a lil...

and yeah, if i could marry my steamer i would... it makes such a difference, the cakes are bright and pretty. so yeah theres my 2 cents...

QuebecGirl Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%