First 3 Tier Cake Advice Needed!

Decorating By sugarlovemom Updated 22 Feb 2012 , 3:28am by sugarlovemom

sugarlovemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlovemom Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone, so... I'm making my first 3 tiered cake. It'll be 12-9-6 ( for 70 servings) and it will be my first time using sps, the lady told me today she will be driving 2 hours with the cake. I will take any advice for first 3 tier cake, for sps.. anything you can tell me will be appreciated it!! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 11

12-9-6 is more than 70 servings...according to the Wilton chart it's 100 servings (just so you can be sure you're charging enough icon_biggrin.gif )

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 11

I know sps is great...never bought it but I know from others on here it's pretty secure.

My only advice would be to make sure your cake is cold when she picks it up...cold cake travels better...AND make sure you give her what I call a 'grippy pad'...one of those mesh rubber shelf liners to put the cake on so it doesn't slide. Tell her she needs to be able to have it sit FLAT so if she is driving an SUV so much the better. Do not let her have someone hold the cake!!

If you have small decorative pieces that can fall off, supply her with a small parchment triangle bag of icing and any extras just in case some break so she can do any small repairs if need be--like if she hits a pothole. Tell her to keep the car cold so heat won't be a factor. Put it in a box with tall sides....you can have the top open but putting it in a box will protect it from any sliding and falling object issues. (And put a grippy pad in the box too.) Split the sides of the box so you can slide the cake in and out and not deal with lifting. (you can tape the sides up). Anyway, that's the laundry list of what I do when I deliver cake! Two hours is a long drive to make so cover your bases!

You might even provide a sign-off sheet that describes what she needs to do to keep the cake safe and that would absolve you from any issues that may arrive during her delivery. Good luck!

sugarlovemom Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you Texas Roses! It's actually a Gift to an elderly couple celebrating their 50 wedding anniversary, and I want to make sure they have enough cake! now I think they are gonna have more than enough cake! lol!!

sugarlovemom Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 11

Carmijok amazing info! HUGE thank you!!! I will follow your instructions!!!!

BellaLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaLove Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 11

Yes I do agree with Texas Roses on making sure you charge enough your servings are good I would say that making sure you have support for the cake since she is driving 2hrs with the cake so any extra support dowels thats what I always make sure to put enough of. Good Luck icon_smile.gif Can't wait to see pics. icon_biggrin.gif

Pam1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pam1976 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 11

You can also apply double sided tape to each cake circle. This way, each cake is secured to it's plate! If you do this, you won't be able to separate the layers before serving.

sugarlovemom Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you Bella! ( that's how I call my baby girl named Isabella: Bella!) Any comment or advice is always welcome!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 11

You shouldn't put any extra dowels in the cake - the SPS's 4 legs are enough. Don't go making more holes in your cakes! All the other advice given is spot on, and I also put the double sided tape on the SPS plate so the cardboard cake circle sticks to it. Some might think it's overkill but it makes me happy. Just tell the person who is driving to imagine they have a child with no seatbelt on in the car...so to drive carefully! If they can make it one mile, they can make it 2 hours no problem.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

You shouldn't put any extra dowels in the cake - the SPS's 4 legs are enough. Don't go making more holes in your cakes!

I agree! Four legs are enough for a round table, and it's enough for a cake. Extra dowels will only weaken the cake structurally. Paper tears easily on the perforated line... cake does the same thing, it falls over where it's perforated.

sugarlovemom Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 3:28am
post #11 of 11

thank you ladies!!!!! will post pics soon!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%