Imbc Vs Smbc

Baking By socosweets Updated 22 Feb 2012 , 1:42pm by LisaPeps

socosweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socosweets Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 7

Im hoping to get some advice on both the IMBC and the SMBC. I have not yet tried either one but Im wanting to give them both a try so I can add to the variety of frostings I have. Do they need to be refridgerated? I have done searching online and havent found a clear answer. Also for those that have made them before what is the taste difference between the two and which one do you prefer? Im basically going to be using these on cupcakes pairing them up with one of my specialty flavors. Also any fav. recipes you would like to share that would be great!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks in advance!

6 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 7

IMBC is my preferred option. There really isn't any taste difference between the two, IMO IMBC is less of a PITA to make. They don't have to be refrigerated if you are using them within 3-4 days.

My recipe is 250g sugar/ 100ml water... 5 egg whites/50g sugar... 500g unsalted butter... 1-2tbsp flavouring.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 7

Go to YouTube and look up Warren Brown from CakeLove's recipe. Also, try searching the forums. This topic has been discussed a lot.

Annie

socosweets Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 1:16am
post #4 of 7

Thank you for your response!! I could not find much info on the refridgeration part and that was my main concern.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 9:08am
post #5 of 7

Warren Brown's IMBC for me too. The basic difference between the two is that in IMBC, the whites are turned into a confection by the 245 degree sugar addition, making this method the most durable of the European Buttercreams. I use SMBC also, but only for certain applications, my favorite being a caramel made with muscovado sugar.

socosweets Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 7

will the IMBC hold up well as a swirl ontop of a cupcake?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 7

Yep, all the cupcakes in my pictures are done with IMBC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%