Making Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By Formynana Updated 21 Feb 2012 , 3:06pm by jgifford

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 3:34am
post #1 of 9

I have been wanting to try my hand at modeling chocolate instead of using fondant for flowers - whats a good recipe and how long will the modeling chocolate last? Thanks icon_smile.gif

8 replies
cdmolina83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdmolina83 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 4:13am
post #2 of 9

This is the modeling chocolate recipe I like to use. The better the chips, the better the taste.
http://cakecentral.com/recipe/chocolate-clay-modeling-chocolate

I have not personally tackled chocolate flowers yet. But I am sure people have made them with this recipe. HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 5:22am
post #3 of 9

This is a great recipe also. I make half of it. I started using this recipe when i met a lady at ices convention. Her name is Mari Senago and this is all she makes(chocolate flowers of all kinds.) I love taking her demos at the convention. I have made the roses, orchid, cala lily ,etc. using this recipe. hth I am sure the other recipe is good also that the op posted.

sing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sing Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 5:45am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmolina83

This is the modeling chocolate recipe I like to use. The better the chips, the better the taste.
http://cakecentral.com/recipe/chocolate-clay-modeling-chocolate

I have not personally tackled chocolate flowers yet. But I am sure people have made them with this recipe. HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing this recipe thumbs_up.gif

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 9

I just started using modeling chocolate a weeks ago and I'm addicted icon_biggrin.gif It does taste much better than fondant. If you store your flowers in air tight containers they should last for weeks!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 9

I've started using modeling chocolate instead of fondant to cover cakes because it tastes so much better. I've tweaked this recipe a little - - I use 24 oz (1 pkg) almond bark and 2/3 cup corn syrup. Once it's mixed up, I pour it out on wax paper until it's cool enough to handle. Then I knead as much oil as possible out of it before I let it rest. Getting the extra oil out makes it a little firmer; also, you don't end up with little hard bits in the middle of it when it's cool.

I find that modeling chocolate made with almond bark is very forgiving. If I need to color it, I use candy colors and add the color to the corn syrup before mixing. I have also used gel colors, but this takes a lot more kneading so it doesn't seize up on you.

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 9

Covering cakes with modeling chocolate? That sounds yummy- experimenting with modelling chocolate is next on my list-when I get free time......
Is it more expensive to use modeling chocolate then it is fondant? It cost me aout $4.00 to make a batch of fondant...I haven't made modeling chocolate yet though.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

This is a great recipe also. I make half of it. I started using this recipe when i met a lady at ices convention. Her name is Mari Senago and this is all she makes(chocolate flowers of all kinds.) I love taking her demos at the convention. I have made the roses, orchid, cala lily ,etc. using this recipe. hth I am sure the other recipe is good also that the op posted.

It looks like your recipe didn't post icon_smile.gif I'd be interested in how it differs.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 9

I get almond bark for $2.68 at wallie world and $.40 for corn syrup, so for $3.08 I can make 1 1/2 pounds of modeling chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%