Fbct Question

Decorating By wjruss Updated 21 Feb 2012 , 4:50pm by SweetP

wjruss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjruss Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 12:23am
post #1 of 6

Hello Ladies- I have a FBCT image in the freezer. It's been in there about 3 hours. It's outlined in the Wilton black with my regular buttercream. How soon can I put it on the cake? I have to deliver early and am scared if I wait last minute and something happens I'll be in trouble. I did put white on the background will that prevent any colors running?

Thanks so much,
Jamie

5 replies
luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 1:35am
post #2 of 6

I've done a few FBCTs and I let them stay in the feezer overnight if possible...but 4-5 hours should be enough. I would be scared to leave it until morning in case it won't release etc and you won't have enough time to make another one. I use at least 50% or more butter in my BC for these so they get very hard. I didn't even use a white backing on my last one (see my pics for a picture of an old couple) and put is straight on a white piece of fondant...nothing happened to the colors. I pipe in matching color around the picture to hide the uneven edges. Just be ready to put it on your cake as soon as you take it out of the freezer. Did you use plexiglass under your parchment paper so you can see what the actual image will look like? Can't wait to see a picture ! icon_smile.gif

wjruss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjruss Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 3:16am
post #3 of 6

ugh... it broke icon_sad.gif I think I had the white frosting to thick. No, I need to get some of the plexiglass icon_smile.gif It was where I could lift it though and it was so awesome :/ . I just finished the second one. I'm going to set my clock for 6am and pray this one doesn't break. So you're colors didn't run. That's what I am afraid of with the white background.. I did use half butter/half crisco. Thank you for answering me icon_smile.gif I'll let you know if this one makes it.lol

Jamie

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 6

I hope you had better luck with the second one Jamie! They can be a bit tricky.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 6

When I do these, mine are usually in the freezer for a min of 30 mins. I honestly can only think of one or two that was in the freezer for hours or over night.

I color my own black, use all crisco buttercream and do not do the white icing backing on them. Never had a problem with bleeding.

SweetP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetP Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 6

Jamie, I hope your second one turned out ok. When I do these, I usually leave them in the freezer for a couple of hours. When I take them out, I flip it over in my hand and peel off the wax paper/acetate (whatever I used to pipe it on) then put it on the cake. I feel like I have better control peeling off the wax paper when it is in my hand. I have to work fast before it gets too soft but this way has worked for me so far.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%