Ateco Fondant Mat

Decorating By dzh115 Updated 19 Feb 2012 , 11:01pm by BlakesCakes

dzh115 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dzh115 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 7:04am
post #1 of 2

I have been reading about the two large Ateco mats, the beige and the solid blue. I am thinking of getting one for my birthday but I was wondering if the fondant sticks to the blue mat, allowing you to placing it over the cake by flipping the mat. I know this works well with the beige but I do not know about the blue one. Would I still have to lift the fondant?

1 reply
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 2

Well, I have both & use neither.

The beige with blue printing leaves a slight imprint on the fondant, the blue printing comes off after awhile and gets into the fondant, and if you cut the mat you can't use it on food because the fibers in it are fiberglass..................I now use it under something that I don't want to slip when on a counter.

The all blue mat is silicone. I find it hard to clean, even w/ warm water & a degreasing soap, and it's a magnet for dust & dirt. It's rolled up and put away, used only as a protective undermat when I work with pulled sugar.

I don't turn my fondant over after I roll it out, so I bought The Mat from Sweetwise (a 2 piece "system" of food grade clear vinyl) and I just roll out on top of one piece of it (on a bare smear of vegetable shortening). I pick up the rolled piece on my rolling pin, put it on the cake, and smooth it with my smoothers.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%