Advice On Setting Up A Web Site

Business By Krista512 Updated 21 Feb 2012 , 6:35pm by kendra_83

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 12:04am
post #1 of 12

im having some trouble setting up my website to look professional.

i have a free site through weebly.com

i cant seam to word things correctly where it sounds professional.

please give me any tips you have on organizing my website.

11 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 12:16am
post #2 of 12

I recommend looking for a local web designer you can work with to create a professional-looking site. Part of the design package should be writing copy for the site, but if you have specific questions you can always post the copy you already have and what message you are trying to convey with said copy.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 2:09am
post #3 of 12

I agree with Jason. If you are not an expert in web design, hire someone. In this market, that web page is your first impression. Save your money and open up later in order to get a professional look, design, and copy.

hoosiergirlcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoosiergirlcakery Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 6:13am
post #4 of 12

Krista,

Check out moonfruit.com They have some very affordable plans and once you master the software, I believe it's possible to create a nice looking website. I actually hired a web guy and was disappointed with the results, so ended up doing it myself. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista512

im having some trouble setting up my website to look professional.

i have a free site through weebly.com

i cant seam to word things correctly where it sounds professional.

please give me any tips you have on organizing my website.

jason_kraft Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 6:18am
post #5 of 12

moonfruit.com builds sites in Flash, which you'll want to avoid...Flash sites are more difficult to navigate, will not be indexed in search engines as well as non-Flash sites, and will not run at all on many mobile devices.

As with most services, you get what you pay for when it comes to web design.

hoosiergirlcakery Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 6:42am
post #6 of 12

Jason...you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I have been very happy with moonfruit and I am "getting what I paid for". You are correct that is is based on Flash, although that is about to change to HTML5 http://blog.moonfruit.com/post/2012/01/30/Moonfruit-websites-to-be-published-in-HTML5
Additionally, my site is indexed well within the major search engines and moonfruit also has a mobile display. The original poster just wanted a suggestion on how to make her website look more professional and I offered my advice. I'm not sure she is interested in flash or SEO suggestions at this point. Moonfruit software has a very comprehensive software interface and as stated earlier, it works great for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

moonfruit.com builds sites in Flash, which you'll want to avoid...Flash sites are more difficult to navigate, will not be indexed in search engines as well as non-Flash sites, and will not run at all on many mobile devices.

jason_kraft Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 6:48am
post #7 of 12

Good news that they are moving to HTML5, but if OP is struggling with Weebly I don't think a similar solution like moonfruit will be as helpful as talking with a professional, especially with the concerns around writing professional copy.

BTW you might want to look at the non-Flash version of your site, for some reason it is directing me there with Firefox, and none of the links are working correctly.

hoosiergirlcakery Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 6:49am
post #8 of 12

Jason...thought this also might be of interest to you. Moonfruit also published each page in HTML specifically for the search engines

http://support.moonfruit.com/entries/474622-how-does-my-sites-flash-get-read-by-search-engines

Quote:

hoosiergirlcakery Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 7:01am
post #9 of 12

I don't have Firefox but I can't find the non-flash link issues on my browser but thanks for the heads up. We've spent a great deal of time on the website and have become fairly competent with the moonfruit interface. We initially attempted to hire a couple of web people, but were underwhelmed by the mockup sites they provided. Our moonfruit website continues to serve us well. Since we specialize in homemade cakes, we wanted a clean, but not corporate design.

http://support.moonfruit.com/entries/474622-how-does-my-sites-flash-get-read-by-search-enginesn

Quote:

Good news that they are moving to HTML5, but if OP is struggling with Weebly I don't think a similar solution like moonfruit will be as helpful as talking with a professional, especially with the concerns around writing professional copy.

BTW you might want to look at the non-Flash version of your site, for some reason it is directing me there with Firefox, and none of the links are working correctly.

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 8:14pm
post #10 of 12

i can navigate through weebly pretty well I just cant seam to word things correctly and im not sure how to set up the pricing page. im still needing to get enough confidence to hold firm about pricing.

www.customcakesbykrista.weebly.com

cerps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerps Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 11:59pm
post #11 of 12

What are your long term goals with the site? A good looking site is key but just as important is the fact that Google (forget the other SEs) can find it and index it and you have the ability to update the site frequently and edit the meta tags. I have always avoided Flash sites for ranking purposes....

I would talk to a professional web designer who understands SEO and can make the site look good. A site that looks crappy and displays specialty cakes isn't going to convert a lot of people. I've had a lot of people work with us just because the local cake decorators don't put a lot of attention on their sites.

kendra_83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendra_83 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 6:35pm
post #12 of 12

I definitely agree that a pro would help with wording and make your business seem more legit. You might also think about changing the background and font colors. My eyes are now burning from trying to read the all the neon info. Also, the "Why do cakes cost so much?" section needs to go - just my opinion. If they have a problem paying what you ask for, they won't care to read about why they should change their mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%