Favourite Filling

Baking By Bean123 Updated 18 Feb 2012 , 4:51pm by FlourPots

Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 2:26am
post #1 of 4

what is your favourite filling?? I'm just looking for new ideas for chocolate and vanilla cakes. Thanks

3 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 3:02am
post #2 of 4

I'm going to lift what I wrote to someone else a few months ago, and post it here...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I once did a taste test with 7 different filling recipes...2 of the recipes were just pudding (vanilla & white choc.) made with heavy cream...

Right away, those two were at the top of my list...they tasted the best, were super easy to make, and less expensive than the more involved recipes.

This was #3: http://cakecentral.com/recipe/easy-bavarian-cream

....after allowing time for the flavors to blend however, the bavarian cream jumped to #1, and is still my favorite today.
It's similar to plain pudding, but better...

If you read the comments on the bavarian cream recipe, you'll notice that many have subbed heavy cream for Cool Whip...someone mentioned doing it, and others followed...
My advice...Try it with the Cool Whip first...I don't even eat the stuff myself, except in this recipe...
(I do sub half-and-half for the milk)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since posting the above, I've tried the same recipe with Chocolate Fudge pudding, and Cheesecake pudding.
Both were good, but not great, in my opinion...the chocolate wasn't chocolatey enough, and the cheesecake (which I had high hopes for) was too similar to the vanilla...
I wouldn't make either again.

Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much! I'm definitely going to try that! Does it need to be refrigerated?

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 4

You're welcome...

I keep it refrigerated from the time it's made (up to 2 days prior to using), then I fill the cake (I use a thick dam), and put the cake back in the fridge covered with layers of Saran Wrap till I'm ready to decorate, then it's in and out.
I'm a hobbyist...
I've mostly used this recipe for family cakes that weren't overly decorated and weren't meant to be posted.

(I've also made smaller quantities before when testing new cake recipes, to see if it'll pair well with it).

The longest I've left it out was several hours with no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%