Possible Cake Scam...watch Out!

Business By BeesKnees578 Updated 17 Feb 2012 , 11:50pm by KoryAK

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 8

I got an email lead from weddingwire.com awhile ago from a Tony Rock. I responded to it and didn't hear back for awhile, then I get an email last night saying he wants me to make a wedding cake for the 24th of February, what it needs to look like, # servings, etc. It was a pretty demanding for a last-minute, desperate order. ANYWAY, he "lives off shore but is around quite a bit and is relocating to this area" blah blah blah. The reception is taking place in his apartment building complex...whatever. Anyway, just keep your eyes out for this lead!

7 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 8

This may or may not be a scam, we've gotten orders from people who live offshore for deliveries to local apartment complexes (usually for events in the community clubhouse) and they have all been legit. If I were you I would accept the order as long as he can pay in cash ahead of time.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578

I got an email lead from weddingwire.com awhile ago from a Tony Rock. I responded to it and didn't hear back for awhile, then I get an email last night saying he wants me to make a wedding cake for the 24th of February, what it needs to look like, # servings, etc. It was a pretty demanding for a last-minute, desperate order. ANYWAY, he "lives off shore but is around quite a bit and is relocating to this area" blah blah blah. The reception is taking place in his apartment building complex...whatever. Anyway, just keep your eyes out for this lead!

Oh trust me 100% when I say this is a scam. I can cut and paste the one EXACTLY like it I got earlier this week.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 8

Easiest way to filter out scams without ticking off a potential real customer is just to tell them it needs to be paid in cash before hand. That will stop the scammers in their tracks and a real customer will either comply or engage in meaningful conversation about the possibility of other options.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Easiest way to filter out scams without ticking off a potential real customer is just to tell them it needs to be paid in cash before hand.

Oh you would think so! Here...read this exchange I had with "Judith", after I replied to "her" wedding wire lead, which looked honest enough. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for responding to my posting and apology for my late response.

Let's get down to business, I would love you to take care of our
wedding cake and I would want it to be 2 tiers cake for about 100 -
120 guests. I know you would really want to make the day a memorable
one for me and my fiancé.

Attached is a preferred design of the cake. If you have an idea you
could add to make the creativity more perfect, no problem.. I just
want the best.

The venue for the wedding is taking place in the apartment's compound
I'm relocating to AURORA OR 97002. The date is 9th of March 2012. The
time is 11am.

I am currently living in Los Angeles, Ca and still very much around
but working offshore in Malaysia. I will resume back to work next
Monday. I am sure we can conclude on everything before I leave.

Please, make the cake color to be two, cream and butter color and not
white as shown in the picture but I want you to design it with roses.
The color of the roses has to be yellow and white. I love creativity,
it's a sign that I'm getting the best of the cake. The flavor can be 2
for each tier. (1) Vanilla and (2) Coconut.

Let me know the total cost for the cake and as regard delivery, I
could arrange for pick up and you could make delivery as well.

Thanks as I await your response.

My reply....

I'd love to help you out. I'll need $50,000 up front to continue any more discussions with you. Since I'm sure you are very eager to proceed, let me give you my day time contact information:

Officer Morgan, Chief Investigator of Cybercrime Division
Walla Walla Police Department
1515 You Are An Ass St.
Fantasyland, AZ 0u812

Please send a certified check in that amount to that address by today at 2:15 p.m. I am sure FedEx would be willing to make a flight just for you. Have a great day, and I look forward to receiving your check today!

And her next reply:

I think you have given me reasonable offer.

As regard payment, I can make full payment available and we will be available 5 days or a week prior to the event day for tasting. You can contact me on 9095621553 while am still in the States because I will be going back to work next week but will always keep in touch with you.Actually, I need to let you know this, I was disappointed by someone I contacted earlier for cake though not her fault, she lost her husband and she had to travel out of States because of that, that is why I contacted you to come
in. I hope there will be no disappointment from you.Meanwhile, to avoid any further delay, send me your information i.e. the name as it will appear on the payment and
also the address it will be received when you're returning your reply to this mail. I want my company to issue my monthly payment in your name in which I have early discussed with them and agreed on.Please, do not send P.O. Box address as the courier service that will be used will not send such package to P.O. Box

for security reasons. You can send your residential or office address but must not be P.O. Box. I live in Vine street Hollywood Los Angeles Ca

Thanks.

I wanted to reply again, but was dumbfounded. Just goes to show they don't care what you say to them, it's just the fact that you said anything at all, and there is the slightest chance they may have hooked a live one who might be dumb enough to fall for it. I don't recommend toying with these people with a real e-mail address, but I keep a couple of disposable addresses just for stuff like this. icon_twisted.gif

petiterouge42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petiterouge42 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 8

I had a nearly exact same email last week - must have been the same scam system of people. Those emails drive me nuts. Sometimes I sell things on craigslist (old furniture etc) and it's the same thing. It is such an incredible waste of time to even have to read these stupid emails the scammers are sending out.

I love your email response though lol- apparently they didn't catch on to the sarcasm and that you were smarter than their scam. icon_smile.gif

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 8

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif So funny, especially the kiss my ass part!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 8

Wow. It's always worked for me...

I have a cousin who will entertain the scammers (not cake related) for months on end. He even got one to send him a prepaid shipping label and then sent him a bunch of garbage and rocks! lol! He owned an art gallery/bar in Seattle and did a display of all the stuff and letters once.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%