Help With Sugar Flower

Decorating By traci_doodle Updated 17 Feb 2012 , 6:15pm by traci_doodle

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 6

You know those cakes that are very simply frosted, then just have one beautiful flower adorning the middle tier? I was trying to make something like that for a cake I'm working on, but apparently I really suck at making flowers. I've been looking at tutorials online and worked for several hours over the past few days, but my flower did not turn out well at all. Does this get easier? I just can't seem to get it. Also, is there a simple flower that I would be able to make in just an hour or less? Or something else simple I could add to my baby shower cake for tomorrow? I need to figure something out for this cake. Preferably something that doesn't require a lot of equipment...

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 6

Hi there, sorry to hear that you are having trouble making flowers. Which flower did you try making? When I started making flowers, I started with roses.

Since you need a really simple flower, have look at this tutorial. It is quite easy to do.

http://inspiredbymichelleblog.com/2011/01/30/how-to-make-a-sugar-peony-rose-flower/

icon_smile.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 6

There are probably a few things that aren't so obvious about making flowers.

The first is practice.

A second thing to try is frosting consistency. Mix up a practice batch. Make it your regular consistency then divide it into three bowls. Thin one slightly and thicken another with powdered sugar. Now watch what happens when you pipe the same flower with all three. Different consistencies work better for script, borders and flowers.

Run to the store and pick up artificial flowers or a small figurine for the cake and relax. We tend to be way more critical of ourselves than non-cakers.

traci_doodle Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the replies! Bashini, I love that flower in the video. I may have to get those cutters. That looks much simpler than cutting out each individual petal. Do you know what she means by flour (or is it flower?) fondant?

And Matthew, I think I may just buy an articial flower like you suggested for this time around. And then I'll keep practicing!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 6

traci, she means flower paste/gumpaste. I think there is another video of her's making the gumpate. Worth having a look. icon_smile.gif
You can use a silk flower for this time . icon_smile.gif [/url]

traci_doodle Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks! That makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%