Help! I Need To Tort A 12 In X 18 In X 2 In Cake But...

Decorating By sugarmommy83 Updated 16 Feb 2012 , 8:17pm by sugarmommy83

sugarmommy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmommy83 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 7

Help! I need to tort a 12 inch x 18 inch x 2 inch cake but the last time i tried this same cake it ended up breaking and I was devastated. I'm trying again for this weekend but I need help! Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

6 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 7

I have pitched my Wilton leveler and until I can afford an Agbay, I use toothpicks placed around the perimeter. They serve as a guide line while I saw gently all around with a large knife, working from the edges to the center. As soon as I cut through, I insert a large stainless steel pizza peel from one long side, (purchased from Baker's Catalogue at King Arthur Flour), and a cardboard cake board from the other. This arrangement allows me to set it aside and I keep it covered on the peel until ready to replace back on the filled cake.
I just freak out when I see how cavalierly cakes are handled on shows like Cake Boss. There they just flip them around like they were made of foam rubber! I really wonder just how tasty they might be.
Hope this helps you. Not much equals the pain of having a cake break.

Jan

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 7

2 tips I can give you. If you have not already baked the cake, divide the bater in half and bake 2 seperate cakes. This way there is no need to torte, just put 1 layer on top of another. Even if you one have 1 pan, bake the first layer, take it out, clean it and bake another one.
2nd tip. If you have already baked the cake, let it sit for at least a cople of hours to cool, then use the toothpick method. After it is cut, lift one corner with a spatula and slide a cake board between both layers and lift off. After you fill the bottom, just slide the top layer in place. This is what I teach my students to do.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 7

Hi, if i don,t use a leverler, I mark around sides with toothpick, use sewing thread or dental floss and cut right thur. Works everytime. with out a problem. I then use the same size cake board as the cake and take off the top. fill , then slide top right back on. Been doing this for 18 yrs. I have no problem using the wilton leverler(small or large) i do have an agbay also. Whatever mood i am in the day i do the cake is what i use. lol!!! I was taught not to depend on one thing , but to be flexible.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 7

I have used a long piece of dental floss. I first mark with toothpicks and I can usually just go right through the cake. I then use my cookie sheet with no sides on it to slide the cake onto and when the bottom layer is finished you just slide the top layer right on top. I now have purchased a cutter much cheaper than an agbay but better than the wilton. It is fat daddios cutter with two blades and works like a dream. HTH
LL

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 7

One trick I read on here. Is to torte it in what ever manner you choose..leveler, knife toothpick etc. But before lifting off the top piece, cut it in 1/2. Then slide your cardboard under one half, remove and cover, repeat for other half.

Do your filling dam as usual (for one that long I would put a dam line down the middle anyway to help support the weight. Fill and place each half on top and ice in buttercream. Once it's frosted, they will never know and even if they cut it where one piece has 2 "halves" no one would notice. They're just happy with cakeicon_smile.gif

I do like the idea of bake two thinner layers as well.

sugarmommy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmommy83 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 7

Thank u all so much for your ideas. I will definitely put them to use here! Fingers crossed I don't break it cause I need to carve it into a watch and turn in to something great for my brother's 40th bday this weekend! I'll let u know how it turns out!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%