How Do I Attach Silver Dragees?

Decorating By laura4795 Updated 22 Feb 2012 , 10:04am by Panel7124

laura4795 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura4795 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 5:09am
post #1 of 7

I made a cake and used silver dragees for accents. I had a really hard time making them stick. Some of them never did stick, but ended up rolling off the cake. What is the trick here?

I'll try to attach a picture of the cake!
LL

6 replies
JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 5:20am
post #2 of 7

Looking at your cake, I probably would have dab them or the spot where you wanted to put them with a tiny bit of gel with a paint brush. Nice job BTW.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 5:35am
post #3 of 7

You can also use the edible glue made with cmc also I love it!!!

mymyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymyb Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 7

I usually slightly press in the fondant with the small side of a ball tool, then glue them with edible glue. They never roll out any longer!
The advantage of this method is that you can also put the pearls on the side of the cake with no risk of them falling of and it´s much easier to space them out evenly since you are first "drawing" the holes with the ball tool. When you work on a big cake, make sure you work fast enough so that the fondant does not dry, otherwise it will crack when you press in with the ball tool.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 7

I attach with piping gel, I also use the small end of my ball tall to indent when place them on the sides. This gives the dragee a larger surface area to adhere to. If placing them on the top of the cake, I would skip that step and just use piping gel.

laura4795 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura4795 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 9:44am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all of the helpful answers. I have purchased piping gel and can't wait to try it!

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 10:04am
post #7 of 7

Make a shallow hole with the tip of piping nozzle (choose the same or slightly larger than dragée diameter), with the point of the nozzle take out the small off-cut, put a dab of glue or piping gel inside the hole and press the dragée slightly inside. Works so well on sides of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%