Okanagan, Bc, Canada -- Elevation?

Decorating By cakeyouverymuch Updated 22 Feb 2012 , 5:29pm by BuffytheBakingSlayer

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 5

I am going to be baking my DD wedding cake (plain vanilla) and groom's cake (dark chocolate) as well as dessert for the rehearsal dinner (TBA) in June. The wedding will be held in Kelowna, British Columbia. I am wondering if any of you who live in the Okanagan can advise whether I'm going to need to adjust my recipes to account for the elevation or whether my recipes will be ok as they are. Since I will be driving up there, I could conceivably bake here in Manitoba, freeze, and take them with me in coolers with dry ice, then decorate them there. If I do the latter option should I also prep my fondant, fillings and buttercream here and carry them with me? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. TIA

4 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 5

I can tell you from experience that you'll be MUCH better off to bake at home and take everything with you. I went to NY and made my DD's wedding cake in her small apartment. Not a good idea. If you make as much as possible ahead of time, your time with your DD will be much less stressful and you'll all be happier.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 1:48am
post #3 of 5

At 1129 feet above sea level, I can't imagine you should have any problems, usually high altitude adjustments begin at about 3000 feet above sea level. Now, if you are going down a lot in elevation, then you may need to make adjustments.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 2:57am
post #4 of 5

jgifford, thanks for your perspective. I will probably take your advice, if only because it means I won't have to carry as much equipment with the attendant chance of loss/breakage. I had always planned to do the decorations and stands in advance, and I can see the benefit of only having to put it all together once I'm there. Again, thanks.

Spooky_789, thanks for the info.

BuffytheBakingSlayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuffytheBakingSlayer Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 5

i cannot find it right now, but I know there is a baking (maybe cooking too) blogger who lives in CO and so bakes at altitude. And maybe not just in Denver but the real higher elevations in the mountains.

Maybe just google baking cakes at altitude and see what comes up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%