Opinions On My Website, Please!

Business By SugaredSaffron Updated 15 Feb 2012 , 10:24pm by SugaredSaffron

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 11:26am
post #1 of 16

Can you guys take a look at my site please:

www.sugaredsaffron.co.uk

I'm happy with the layout and everything but was wondering what you guys think about size. I just think the site looks better after you've zoomed out once or twice but others think its fine. What do you guys think?

Zoomed out or as is?

15 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 16

Zoom out a bit. My eyes have to scan the whole page to take in all the info. But it looks very pretty.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 16

I too would zoom out a bit. It seems huge, but very nice.

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 16

I like your website, but I also think you should zoom out a little bit. I like to be able to see the whole page without having to scroll sideways (but that's just me). Otherwise, it looks great! Congrats! icon_smile.gif

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 16

Nice lay out...I would re-edit some of the pic, the lighting is a bit glaring.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 16

The site looks great at maximum screen resolution (looks like the site was designed as if it was a series of A4 flyers), but any smaller and a lot of scrolling is required. Consider redesigning the site so it is more usable on a wider variety of screen sizes instead of a single fixed width, especially considering how many people are browsing on mobile devices these days.

Also, two of your most important links (orders and delivery, and contact us) are buried at the bottom right of the site.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 16

I don't like having to scroll over to see the full website, so I would be slightly annoyed by that.

Also, the naked cake picture on your wedding page, I'm gathering it is to show that there are 4 layers of cake with 3 layers of filling, but that cake looks a little sloppy. I would consider removing it or taking another picture that is a bit cleaner looking.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 16

Check to see if your site was coded using new industry standard resolution size. Looks like it is to me so it's up to the individual to resize based on their viewing.

I think the resolution of your pictures are a little high, the load a bit slow.

Other then that I love it, it's beautiful.

Blueridgebuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blueridgebuttercream Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 16

That's a pretty website. Nice color scheme, but I second the comment about the photos looking overexposed and washed-out. The size is perfect on my monitor, but it's brand new - one of the modern wide ones.

Also, might want to have someone proofread it again. A fresh pair of eyes catches things when you're read it so many times you can't see it anymore.

Maybe it's just that I'm a terrible grammar nerd and no one else would notice, but these are the errors that I noticed so far:

"All of our products are baked from scratch with real flavours and no nasty preservatives, we even make our own lemon curd and caramel sauce." - comma splice! Use a semi-colon here, instead of in the following sentence, where the dependent clause "a creamy, light and wonderfully smooth filling and topping unlike traditional buttercream" should NOT be set off with a semi-colon.
Under wedding cakes on the front page: "Take a peak" should be "Take a peek"
On the cupcakes tab: "All of our delicious cupcakes and hand" should be "are hand made"

I think your site's going to look very professional when you've got the bugs out.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 16

The names of your available flavors arent capitalized consistently.
A spell check would catch many of these spelling errors:

Take a peak
Take a peek

to figure how how much cake
to figure out how much cake

CUPCAKES
velvety italian meringue buttercream
velvety Italian meringue buttercream

the difficuilt task
the difficult task

As a home based bakery we know
As a home-based bakery, we know

We use pure english butter,
We use pure English butter,

madagascan vanilla pods,
Madagascan vanilla pods,

free range eggs and fine chocolate
free-range eggs, and fine chocolate

with a minumum of 70% cocoa solids.
with a minimum of 70% cocoa solids.

We exclusively use italian meringue buttercream
We exclusively use Italian meringue buttercream

a creamy, light and wonderfully smooth filling
a creamy, light, and wonderfully-smooth filling

We'll discuss your theme, colour choices and even draw up a sketch of your ideal cake if you'd like.
We'll discuss your theme, colour choices, and even draw up a sketch of your ideal cake, if you'd like.

Our cakes are torted into four layers, filled and then covered
Our cakes are torted into four layers, filled, and then covered

A selection of stands, tablewear and decorations are available to rent.
A selection of stands, tableware, and decorations are available to rent.

As this is a highly bespoke service, please contact
As this is a highly-bespoke service, please contact

We are also able to accomodate
We are also able to accommodate

These start from £55 for a buttercream finished cake £65 for sugarpaste finished cake which includes a coordinated ribbon, simple decoration and handcrafted sugar flower.
These start from £55 for a buttercream-finished cake, £65 for sugarpaste-finished cake which includes a coordinated ribbon, simple decoration, and handcrafted sugar flower.

Fillings:
Vanilla italian meringue buttercream
Vanilla Italian meringue buttercream

Chocolate italian meringue buttercream
Chocolate Italian meringue buttercream

Raspberry italian meringue buttercream
Raspberry Italian meringue buttercream

Caramel italian meringue buttercream
Caramel Italian meringue buttercream

Coffee italian meringue buttercream
Coffee Italian meringue buttercream

Orange italian meringue buttercream
Orange Italian meringue buttercream

Chocolate ganache (dark, milk or white)
Chocolate ganache (dark, milk, or white)

Popular Combinations:
Vanilla bean cake with raspberry jam and vanilla italian meringue buttercream.
Vanilla bean cake with raspberry jam and vanilla Italian meringue buttercream.

Rich Chocolate cake layered with a chocolate ganache filling.
Rich Chocolate Cake, layered with a chocolate ganache filling.

Carrot cake layered orange italian meringue buttercream.
Carrot Cake, layered with an orange Italian meringue buttercream.

Lemon cake layered with lemon curd and vanilla italian meringue buttercream.
Lemon Cake, layered with lemon curd and vanilla Italian meringue buttercream.

Banana cake soaked with a toffee sauce, layered with a caramel italian meringue buttercream.
Banana Cake, soaked with a toffee sauce, layered with a caramel Italian meringue buttercream.

Serving suggestions based on the traditional finger portion, this is 1x1x4.5 inches at least for our cakes.
Serving suggestions based on the traditional finger portion; this is 1x1x4.5 inches, at least for our cakes.

For dessert portions please divide by two.
For dessert portions, please divide by two.

Our 3 tier cakes start at £300 and includes local delivery.
Our 3-tier cakes start at £300 and includes local delivery.

Delivery charges may apply for venues outside of a 5 mile radius.
Delivery charges may apply, for venues outside of a 5-mile radius.

All of our delicious cupcakes and hand made in small batches and are available with a minumum order of 12 of each flavour.
All of our delicious cupcakes are handmade in small batches and are available with a minimum order of 12 of each flavour.

Vanilla bean:
Classic soft madagascan vanilla sponge with a vanilla italian meringue buttercream.
Classic soft Madagascan vanilla sponge with a vanilla Italian meringue buttercream.

Chocolate:
A rich chocolate cupcake with a chocolate italian meringue buttercream.
A rich chocolate cupcake with a chocolate Italian meringue buttercream.

Carrot:
A moist carrot cupcake, lightly spiced with an orange italian meringue buttercream
A moist carrot cupcake, lightly spiced with an orange Italian meringue buttercream.

Speciality:
Specialty:

Lemon meringue:
A light vanilla bean and lemon sponge filled with tangy homemade lemon curd and a mallowy meringue topping.
A light vanilla bean and lemon sponge, filled with tangy homemade lemon curd and a mallowy meringue topping. (Mallowy?)
Apple pie:
A vanilla and cinnamon base with chunks of british apple and a creamy vanilla italian
A vanilla and cinnamon base with chunks of British apple and a creamy vanilla Italian

All of our cupcake flavours are available for your wedding, try surprising your guests with a
All of our cupcake flavours are available for your wedding. Try surprising your guests with a

Sugar Cookies
Prices start from £24 for a box of 12 and Individual packaging is included
Prices start from £24 for a box of 12 and individual packaging is included

Triple-C cookies
Crunchy oaty cookies with chocolate chips and coloured chocolate candy.
Crunchy, oaty cookies with chocolate chips and coloured chocolate candy. (Oaty?)

If you have a request for a particular colour/s let us know
If you have a request for particular colour(s), let us know

and we'll try out best to make it happen free of charge.
and we'll try our best to make it happen free of charge.

Brownies
chunks of milk and white chocolate and a crispy outside.
chunks of milk and white chocolate, and a crispy outside.

Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Brown sugar, molasses and pure dark chocolate chunks
Brown sugar, molasses, and pure dark chocolate chunks

£24 for 14
£24 for 14.

Cake Pop
Cake Pops

Our cake pops are available in vanilla, chocolate or banana caramel dipped in chocolate
Our cake pops are available in vanilla, chocolate, or banana caramel, dipped in chocolate

We can add sprinkles, flowers and even piped detail.
We can add sprinkles, flowers, and even piped detail.

Individual cake pops start at £1.25 and a minumum order of 12.
Individual cake pops start at £1.25 and a minimum order of 12.

SugaredSaffron Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 7:43pm
post #11 of 16

Wow! Thank for all the feedback, Keep it coming. I knew there were mistakes in the text, everytime I get the designer to fix it I see another and feel a dunce for asking him AGAIN, the grammer/sp list is seriously so helpful. Maybe I should just remove the sloppy pic? It wasn't really to emphases the four layer thing but I just thought the bottom of the page needed a work in progress or ingredient type picture. I might try and take another one or of something similar.

About the screen size, the designer is using a mac, he says it looks fine but to send him screen shots. On my phone the size looks fine but my monitor is a couple of years old so maybe thats why it looks so large. I'll see what he says after the screen shots

I quite like the way the pictures look lol but i'll ask the designer because i'm sure the colour or something has changed from the originals.

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 8:31pm
post #12 of 16

I use Firefox for internet so not sure if that makes a difference but I did not have any issues with the size of the home page. I did not have to scroll from right to left to view. I can how ever zoom it out a few clicks and it too looks good. The thing with Firefox is it remembers your preferences so when I revisit your page it is already set zoomed out a couple clicks.

I personally liked the "sloppy" looking cake when telling about your flavors, filling, and icing. I thought it was neat to see what the inside of a cake looks like before being covered all up. It is playful, fun, and I think shows personality.

Good luck and love the site!

ranae5463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranae5463 Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 8:54pm
post #13 of 16

on the front/home page - spelling of minumum should be minimum - unless that is proper in the UK icon_smile.gif

Angfastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angfastic Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 9:00pm
post #14 of 16

I looked at it in both IE 9 and firefox and I didn't have to do any scrolling. It could be due to my screen resolution on my laptop. I have mine set to 1280 X 800.

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 9:37pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredSaffron

I quite like the way the pictures look lol but i'll ask the designer because i'm sure the colour or something has changed from the originals.

I agree with everyone else about the pictures. There is a very strong glare that takes away from the cake. If the originals are the same as those on your facebook page, then it is not the designer.

Very beautiful site. You have already gotten great advice from others.

Also, it looks great on my screen, no side to side scrolling.

SugaredSaffron Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 10:24pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%