Fl Cakers - Sales/use Tax ?

Business By jena2727 Updated 15 Feb 2012 , 6:46pm by bluedaisies

jena2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jena2727 Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 12:20am
post #1 of 2

To all FL cakers out there who bake in their home under the Cottage Foods Law, do you have a Sales Tax ID with the DOR?

I contacted my Tax Collectors office to find out what I needed to do beofre applying for my business license and was told to confirm with DOR whether or not I needed a Sales Tax ID. She was pretty sure I did not but wanted me to double check. I called the DOR and the lady seemed very unsure but told me I would need one. She then proceeded to tell me to complete the online registration and it would tell me if I needed to pay Sales Tax and/or Use Tax. Well, the registration questionnaire was very confusing to me but seemed I really didn't need to register. I've been googling and from what I have found, no one doing business under this law has a Sales Tax ID unless they needed it for purchasing from wholesalers.


I will call the DOR tomorrow and hope I get someone else and possibly try and talk to someone a bit higher up that MIGHT have more knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any advice! I want to get moving on my business, I am starting very small and want to take it super slow but want everything legal before I start charging!

1 reply
bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 2

I went through all this fun paperwork stuff back in the fall. icon_smile.gif We came to the conclusion that we do not have to collect sales tax. The only time you should need to collect that for food items, is if for instance you back cookies/candies and prepackage them to sell on demand. We did get a EIN/tax id number for the business though, it helps if you want wholesale accounts with some of the suppliers (like CK Products).

Quote by @%username% on %date%