Tips On Using Styrfoam Dummies

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 15 Feb 2012 , 3:11am by DeniseNH

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 4

Hi; I want to enter a contest and only styrofoam dummies are allowed. I have never used them- any tips? I want to do a fairly tall structure. How do you carve them? Electric knife?
TIA

3 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 4

I've used styrofoam dummies many times for show cakes. First, I either file down or press down the top and bottom edges so they're not so sharp. If there are any big holes or chunks out of the styrofoam, I filled them with royal icing. For buttercream cakes, I just frosted the cake just as if it were real cake. For fondant covered cakes, I spread a thin layer of shortening on the stryfoam, then covered it with fondant with no problems.

If you need to carve, use a serrated knife or better still, use a hot wire cutter made for cutting styrofoam. They can be purchased at craft stores. Hope that helps.

KimAZ

[/u]

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 2:21am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAZ

I've used styrofoam dummies many times for show cakes. First, I either file down or press down the top and bottom edges so they're not so sharp. If there are any big holes or chunks out of the styrofoam, I filled them with royal icing. For buttercream cakes, I just frosted the cake just as if it were real cake. For fondant covered cakes, I spread a thin layer of shortening on the stryfoam, then covered it with fondant with no problems.

If you need to carve, use a serrated knife or better still, use a hot wire cutter made for cutting styrofoam. They can be purchased at craft stores. Hope that helps.

KimAZ

[/u]

Thanks for the great advice!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 3:11am
post #4 of 4

There are all sorts of companies offering shaped dummies, which are so much more easy to handle than one you shape yourself. If you do purchase a hot wire, please make sure you get one with a 4" tall clearance. I purchased one but it only could handle a 3" tall cake dummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%