Layered Rainbow Cake Made Out Mud Cake.

Decorating By Vytra Updated 13 Aug 2013 , 5:17am by Kittycakes21

Vytra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vytra Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 16

Hi everyone,
Love this website.

I've read different posts about the layered rainbow cake - but all of them use a vanilla or sponge recipe.
Is it possible to use a white choc mud recipe and add food colouring to it?
I've been asked to make this cake.

Ideally, I"d like to use a mud texture, separate the layers with white choc ganache and cover the whole thing with white fondant... (client wants decorations on top).

Apparently, client says that other professionals have said that you can't dye mud cake...

I have attached a photo of what I need to achieve. Thanks in advance.

Many thanks. [/img]
LL

15 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 16

I don't see why not. I mean, you might have to use candy colors because of the white chocolate (candy colors are oil based). But otherwise you shouldn't have a problem. I would give it a try with a small recipe and see how it goes.

Vytra Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 16

Annie Cahill,
Thanks so much for that tip. I've never used candy colour before.
In fact I did a trial run tonight using the Wilton GEL colours... even though, I added too much colouring and the cake was far too dark, the colour intensity seem to be present.

I have read that the chocolate could 'sieze' if you don't use an oil based colouring.. but this didn't really seem to occur with my mini trial run.

Do candy colourings have the same intensity? Do they have a distinct taste?

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 16

I'm sorry to butt in since I'm not answering your ques Vytra, but just to add a comment on WC mud cake...IMHO, I would rather have a vanilla cake than a WC mud cake, as to me the taste is just too bland (not sure if u put tons of extracts in the batter it would make a difference). I heart dark choc mud cake, though.

Anyhow, to each his own, what I dislike can be loved by others. Good luck!

Vytra Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 16

Hi Mclaren,
Appreciate your comments. I use prefer mud cake when making decorative cakes and the white choc recipe i swear by is from Planet cake. Very tasty.
Let me know if you ever want to give WC a go again.. i'll send you my recipe.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

I'm sorry to butt in since I'm not answering your ques Vytra, but just to add a comment on WC mud cake...IMHO, I would rather have a vanilla cake than a WC mud cake, as to me the taste is just too bland (not sure if u put tons of extracts in the batter it would make a difference). I heart dark choc mud cake, though.

Anyhow, to each his own, what I dislike can be loved by others. Good luck!

If the OP is in Australia, which she could well be if using the Planet Cake recipe, then white mud cakes are much more popular for special occasions than vanilla cakes.

OP, there's no reason the colour would make the chocolate seize. You melt the chocolate with water (or milk?) in that recipe. The tiny amount of liquid in the colours is nothing compared to the amount of other liquids you put in.

Vytra Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 16

Hi Maculir,

Yes, I"m from Australia. The choc is melted down with butter. I found out today that gel colours are all oil based which is why my experiment must have worked. I just hope i can get the same intensity on a large scale.
I have ordered in the Americolor gel range as heard that these give better intensity for less quantity. Also read that they don't have an aftertaste.. unlike the Wiltons..

Having said that, have never used Americolor, so i'll find out.

Thanks again for your advice.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 1:20am
post #8 of 16

With all the liquid in the recipe you don't need to worry about the chocolate seizing. I only worry about that with candy making.

annie

mcaulir Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 2:55am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytra

Hi Maculir,

Yes, I"m from Australia. The choc is melted down with butter. I found out today that gel colours are all oil based which is why my experiment must have worked. I just hope i can get the same intensity on a large scale.
I have ordered in the Americolor gel range as heard that these give better intensity for less quantity. Also read that they don't have an aftertaste.. unlike the Wiltons..

Having said that, have never used Americolor, so i'll find out.

Thanks again for your advice.

Planet cake's white choc mud recipe calls for 270mL of water to be melted with the chocolate and butter. That's the liquid I'm talking about. It's too much to make chocolate seize.

Vytra Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 3:21am
post #10 of 16

oh yes Maculir, you're totally right - i forgot about the 270ml of water.

thanks so much for confirmation on the science of this. Feeling far more confident about this cake now.

mcaulir Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 10:17am
post #11 of 16

No worries - hope it goes well!

Bec005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bec005 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 5:03am
post #12 of 16

I made one a few weeks ago using the planet cake mud recipe and used the americolor gels it was perfect

Saskia13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saskia13 Posted 31 May 2013 , 7:29am
post #13 of 16

Hi, just wondering how your coloured mudcake went?

Kittycakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kittycakes21 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:15am
post #14 of 16

How'd it turn out? I have the same request and am very if-y about it

Kittycakes21 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:15am
post #15 of 16

the colors turned out well?

Kittycakes21 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:17am
post #16 of 16

do you have the recipe by any chance, I cant find it icon_redface.gif