Made Smbc First Time Tonight. Faint Egg Taste?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 15 Feb 2012 , 12:54pm by momma28

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 2:54am
post #1 of 17

Is this normal with SMBC? Everyone talks about the great taste, but I distinctly tasted egg a little bit, and the smell was sort of off putting to me. I am used to eating old fashioned buttercream, and smelling the butter. Do you think I did something wrong?

16 replies
luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 3:13am
post #2 of 17

Did you add enough vanilla to the ready smbc? I make mine with 5 sticks of butter and add a 1/4 C vanilla...and I also added 1/2 C of raspberry puree until the raspberry taste was noticable enough. I really love the taste of smbc!

disastrophe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disastrophe Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 3:36am
post #3 of 17

Definitely overheated the eggs a little bit. If you end up cooking them slightly, they take on that sulfury egg smell that eggs do. If you have a thermometer, you can more accurately gauge whether you are getting close to cooking them or not. Over 165 is when the egg whites start cooking, the sugar insulates them a little bit.

If you aren't using a double boiler (or just a bowl over barely simmering water), try that. If you were using a double boiler, try using a glass bowl on top rather than metal - it protects them a little better if the steam gets too strong. Make sure the water is barely simmering.

LoriMc Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastrophe

Definitely overheated the eggs a little bit. If you end up cooking them slightly, they take on that sulfury egg smell that eggs do. If you have a thermometer, you can more accurately gauge whether you are getting close to cooking them or not. Over 165 is when the egg whites start cooking, the sugar insulates them a little bit.

If you aren't using a double boiler (or just a bowl over barely simmering water), try that. If you were using a double boiler, try using a glass bowl on top rather than metal - it protects them a little better if the steam gets too strong. Make sure the water is barely simmering.

I did use a thermometer, and it went to 125, which was 10 degrees more than the recipe called for. I had the water underneath boiling pretty hard. The directions for the recipe weren't very good. Maybe I should just try a different recipe and see what happens. Thanks!

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 17

UGH - I did this the other weekend- overcooked the eggs -it was sooooo nasty I couldn't get past the taste and smell - - I tried to continue making it- and just had to throw it all out- what a waste! So last time I was over wary -and under-cooked it, my sugar didn't cook enough so it didn't disolve completely- slight grainy texture, but still yummy. I never thought to use a candy thermometer - - thanks for the idea!

LoriMc Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 17

Can you use powdered egg whites for SMBC? Just thinking that would rule out the chance of cooked eggs taste.

Allie06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allie06 Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 17

Lori! FromScratchSF has an amazing tutorial on SMBC, also there is a you tube video that is incredibly cheesey, but full of nice little tips, just google "how tomake SMBC" and its the first video that will pop up. I have read conflicting reveiws about the powdered egg whites. I always wisk the egg whites and sugar over a double broiler and as it starts to get frothy, dip my finger in, if the sugar is disolved, the eggs have been pasteurized (but from what I understand that means the temp is 150-ish...125 seems low)...Good luck!

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 17

I regularly end up scrambling my eggs! I've found that if I try to heat them too quickly this happens no matter how fast I whisk. I have to heat mine over a lightly simmering double boiler. It takes a long time, but it's the only way I've managed to get to 160 without scrambled eggs. I relearn this lesson too often when I try to rush it!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 17

You should give IMBC a try. You are actually using a much hotter syrup to cook the eggs. You start off by making a marshmallow (basically) before adding the butter and flavorings. You can taste the marshmallow before you add in the butter and there is no egg taste at all.

LoriMc Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

You should give IMBC a try. You are actually using a much hotter syrup to cook the eggs. You start off by making a marshmallow (basically) before adding the butter and flavorings. You can taste the marshmallow before you add in the butter and there is no egg taste at all.

Is the consistency and taste similar to SMBC? Do you have a recipe you recommend? icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 7:48pm
post #11 of 17

Yes, it's actually a bit more stable than SMBC. It's basically the same thing but prepared a bit differently. Go to YouTube and look up Warren Brown from CakeLove's recipe. It's really easy to prepare. The main thing is to make sure you use unsalted butter and lots of vanilla (I use 2-3 tablespoons). I actually add 1/4 cup sugar extra to the meringue and to the syrup before I boil it. Make sure your bowl cools down after you add the syrup, then add the room temperature butter.

Annie

LoriMc Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 9:21pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Yes, it's actually a bit more stable than SMBC. It's basically the same thing but prepared a bit differently. Go to YouTube and look up Warren Brown from CakeLove's recipe. It's really easy to prepare. The main thing is to make sure you use unsalted butter and lots of vanilla (I use 2-3 tablespoons). I actually add 1/4 cup sugar extra to the meringue and to the syrup before I boil it. Make sure your bowl cools down after you add the syrup, then add the room temperature butter.

Annie

Ok, I did it. First time I did it with egg whites from a carton (Just Whites Egg Beaters), and I never got any peaks Second time I did it with real eggs and everything worked out. Taste is nice, very light. My only complaint is the texture. I thought it was going to be this really pretty, silky smooth icing. It's not like that at all.

I'll keep this in my repertoire in case anyone asks for something less sweet, but I think I still prefer regular buttercream at this point. At least I can get it perfectly smooth.

Here's a picture of the finished product. Did I do something wrong?? (again, LOL) Thanks for all the help, by the way!

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 10:45pm
post #13 of 17

I've never done IMBC, but for SMBC, just keep the paddle going on low until it smooths out. It may be a little too cool so the butter is staying in chunks. If it doesn't become smooth and silky by letting the mixer continue to run on low, try putting a damp warm kitchen towel around the base of the bowl to warm up the icing a little bit and keep mixing.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 12:06am
post #14 of 17

Yes you should be able to get it smooth as glass. Try taking the stuff you already have made and mixing it with the paddle on the lowest speed for awhile - it will come together more icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 1:18am
post #15 of 17

Yes, keep beating! You are almost there!

LoriMc Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 3:16am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Yes you should be able to get it smooth as glass. Try taking the stuff you already have made and mixing it with the paddle on the lowest speed for awhile - it will come together more icon_smile.gif

I did mix it with the paddle attachment and it improved! Thanks everybody! Next time I will remember to do that at the end.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE REPLIES!!!!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 12:54pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Can you use powdered egg whites for SMBC? Just thinking that would rule out the chance of cooked eggs taste.

I only use powdered egg whites and have for well over a year now. I started after the salmonella scare with eggs back on 2010. I didnt want anyone feeling uncomfortable (including me) about me using fresh egg whites. it works beautifully but is much more expensive. For me the peace of mind is worth it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%