Home Based Cake Business With Little Kids At Home???

Business By Krista512 Updated 14 Feb 2012 , 7:28pm by gmfcakes

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 7

are there any of you that run a successful cake business from home while you still have small kids???? i have 4 kids 2 of which are in school and i have a 2 year old and 5 month old. i can make small cakes but wedding cakes would be out of the question. i also cant seam to be sure i can deliver larger cakes since i dont have a babysitter or daycare. how do you other moms of young kids keep up with your kids and cakes both.

6 replies
dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 7

I am the same, I have 4 kids: 15, 13, 3 and 5 months. I have some help in that my husband and mother-in-law help watch them if I have to deliver one. I don't take on more than 1 or 2 in one weekend. You have to know your limits. If its a big cake, then I only take one for the weekend, or two smaller ones. I try to be really organized too. Bake of Thursday, decorate on Friday. If there are 3-D figures or decorations that I have to make, I do those early in the week.

Don't get me wrong, its hard to do so much with the kids around. But the more organized you are, the easier it is for you. (Plus, I'm a full time teacher). icon_wink.gif

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 7

When mine were little I worked in the early morning and late at night and I had very strict nap schedules.

Also, I had an out of the way place that wandering little fingers couldn't touch things. It's do-able, but you need to be even more organized.

Tami icon_smile.gif

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 7

I have a 2 yr old and a 16 yr old who refuses to help with his sister, and lives to torment her and make her scream! LOL, As another poster said, know your limitations! I dont take more than 1-2 orders per week, rely on my bestie, and I dont forget to breathe! My little girl loves for me to set her up with her own pots and pans and assorted baking toys and she bakes like Mama. Of course her specialty is "Doodoo soup with Cheese" as she says, don't think Ill be adding that recipe to my repitoire!

lissyUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissyUK Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 7

I feel your pain. I have a 10 month old monkey. He's very good unless i have a cake to do. Had to make up 3 dummies for a wedding fair and it took weeks! He doesn't have naps when I have things to do- monster!

I bake and decorate when he sleeps and at night. If he has a quiet day I'll grab half an hour here or there. It makes for a very long day though, so I only do a cake a week tops!

billiev2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
billiev2000 Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 7

I completely agree with everyone else. Organization is key. I have two boys (3 and 6) who I homeschool. I also work outside the home six hours per day four days per week. I plan everything.
Right now is especially hard because I have just started an actual cake business so that is taking up a lot of time. (Although I have done cakes for friends and family for the past 7 years.)
As everyone else said, you just have to know your limitations and organize.

gmfcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmfcakes Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 7

I work full time have a 7 year old and a 19 month old, and it is hard. I also take online classes and go to school two nights out of the week. I only bake for fun/practice, so my hubby hates it because it is just another thing that takes up my time that I don't get paid for it, but I love it.

Anyway, I was just explaining to him that I needed to start on cakes at least a couple of weeks before they are due (with figurines and baking) and be more organized and it would not seem like it is taking up a ton of my time.

So I agree with everyone else that organization is the key.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%