Using Wasc Recipe For Chocolate Cake...centers Are Sinking!

Baking By soonergirl31 Updated 14 Feb 2012 , 4:52pm by christeena

soonergirl31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soonergirl31 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 5

I am using a WASC cake mix extender recipe for a chocolate cake. I never, ever have issues with white cake when I use this, but for the chocolate, centers really sink. I am at a loss. The only thing I tweak is that instead of 1 c flour, I use 2/3 c flour and 1/3 c cocoa plus I add 1tsp baking powder. Still use all the same amount of liquid as with the WASC cakes. I use a flower nail in the center of the pan, too. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

4 replies
cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 1:34am
post #2 of 5

A trick I learned a while ago from another cc member: add the sugar at the end of the recipe and then mix it just enough to blend in the sugar....has worked every time for me. I hope this helps!

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 4:30am
post #3 of 5

I don't know if the other ingredients would make a difference, but I use the full 1 cup of all purpose flour and instead of cocoa powder I use 1/2 cup melted chocolate chips added in just before the sugar.... makes a nice dense cake almost like brownies. Either way I haven't had one sink since I started adding the sugar last ....

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 5:12am
post #4 of 5

i want to say its the leavening agent. maybe too much seeing as there is already bp in the mix.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 5

I used to have this issue with all versions of the WASC so I cut back the sugar to 1/2 cup for white and 2/3 cup for chocolate and have not had sinking middles since. I also use 2/3 cup flour and 1/3 cup cocoa and 1 tsp. Baking powder. Not only do they not sink but the cakes are not overly sweet which is my preference! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%