Can't Find Good Scratch Cake Or Buttercream Recipes

Baking By Krista512 Updated 12 Feb 2012 , 1:34am by Goreti

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 9

I have always used the durable cake for weddings and 3d cakes. I do a lot of carving so need it to hold up. Tried 4 of the top rated scratch recipes they all came out funny tasting or sunk in the middle or were bell shaped, tasted blan or like flour.

I usually use the doctored box recipe with pudding and sour cream but my store can't keep cake boxes stocked.

And I used to use the bulk icing I bought at sams club. But don't make cakes enough now to buy bulk and not everyone wants vanilla the want chocolate strawberry or cream cheese or fudge.
I tried 3 top recipes and they were gritty or tasted like Crisco. Can't get a good crusting recipe that is smooth and can be used with or with out fondant .

Please help. I'm going broke trying new recipes

8 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 9

Which recipes did you try? Are you experienced at scratch baking? Did you use cold ingredients? Are you making sure your oven is at the right temperature?

There are so many variables at play with scratch baking. Here is one from Jen's blog that you might have luck with. It's good for beginners:

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/white-cake-part-3-with-recipe/

As for icing recipes, the Buttercream Dream recipe on this site is decent. I would increase the butter and decrease the Crisco though.

I use a meringue buttercream but those don't crust. You should give it a try once-you may like it a lot.

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 9

I made
Buttermilk white cake
A better white scratch cake
White wedding cake
Delectable buttercream icing
Indy debis Crisco based buttercream
Buttercream dream

All the icings just didn't have butter taste and were gritty

The cakes were mostly good for stacking one was almost crumb less but lacked taste

Follows recipe with temp and kept close eye on cooking. No I don't have experience

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 9

Ok, make sure you are using the highest quality ingredients you can afford. Butter especially. Also make sure your vanilla is good. I use Nielsen Massey but it's expensive. Real vanilla extract is important. McCormick vanilla is ok but if I'm going for something at the grocery store I will choose Watkins over McCormick. I use about a tablespoon of vanilla in a vanilla or yellow recipe.

I don't prefer white recipes due to the lack of yolks. Give Jen's recipe a try and use the yolks. You can even throw another yolk in there for added flavor and moisture.

For buttercream recipes, anything with PS is going to be gritty to some degree. I use Domino's and sift but it's still got that PS crunch to it. Make sure you sift, use good butter and even add some salt to the recipe. I add about two teaspoons of salt when I make a crusting BC because I just cannot stand the sweetness of it. I also use about two tablespoons of vanilla extract to my BC. You can use whipping cream (I warm mine in the microwave) for added richness and flavor.

I think part of your problem is not being used to the true flavors of things, especially if you've been using the pre-made icing. They use that artificial butter flavoring and it is horrendous. I think the Wilton clear butter is one of the grossest things they make!

Give the Buttercream Dream a try again but this time use more butter than shortening.

You can do it! Even experienced scratch bakers fail sometimes. I tried a new yellow recipe the other evening and the cupcakes baked big and beautiful and then they shriveled into little hockey puck muffins right before my eyes when I took them out. Another reason why I hate cupcakes, LOL.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 9

Check out crumboss.com. Try her recipes. The ones i have tried are very good. She is on youtube also. Just type in crumbboss. I really like her buttercream. hth

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista512

I made
Buttermilk white cake
A better white scratch cake
White wedding cake
Delectable buttercream icing
Indy debis Crisco based buttercream
Buttercream dream

All the icings just didn't have butter taste and were gritty

As AnnieCahill said, make sure your ingredients are of high quality. Some generic or store-brand powdered sugars make gritty buttercream and it has nothing to do with the recipe. I've found the Target Market Pantry brand to be one of the worst.

pummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pummy Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

Check out crumboss.com. Try her recipes. The ones i have tried are very good. She is on youtube also. Just type in crumbboss. I really like her buttercream. hth

Crumb Boss!! Yes, yes! Her buttercream is sooo good! Love her videos.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 1:23am
post #8 of 9

swiss meringue buttercream! try it

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 1:34am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyladylibra

swiss meringue buttercream! try it

I'll second that. Since my family has tasted it, that is all they want. My daughter is crazy about milk chocolate swiss meringue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%