Luster Dusting Fondant

Decorating By EvArt Updated 14 Feb 2012 , 9:46pm by EvArt

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 3

I'm working on a fondant wedding cake, and wanted to cover the ivory fondant with an oyster colored pearl dust before piping my design on it, But my pearl dust is coming out splotchy rather than solid as I had wanted. Fortunately the cake is looking a little antique with the splotching and I like it. It'll look kind of cool behind the hand piped white damask design that will be done. But in the future, how do I get that solid color of shimmer I initially wanted with my pearl dust??

TYVM

2 replies
southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 3

I try to let the fondant rest at least overnight before dusting to insure that the surface is dry enough. Then I use a fluffy face powder brush to apply the dust. I brush it on in a circular motion with a very light hand. I keep brushing (almost like polishing the surface of the fondant ) until there is an even application.

I hope that works for you, though I'm intrigued with the idea of antique look you got.

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 3

Southerncross,
I do the same thing as you described. But for some reason this time it just didn't cover evenly. The fondant picked up the dust heavily in some places and lightly in others. Maybe the oils from hand prints left behind or something. But like I said, the blotchiness worked this time. Thanks for replying to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%