Why Would This Technique Be Used?

Decorating By JoyceD Updated 11 Feb 2012 , 11:01pm by AnnieCahill

JoyceD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoyceD Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 10

Why would someone want to cover a cake covered with marzipan, then with RI? Wouldn't that make the cake darn near impossible to slice?

9 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 10

Because that's how it's usually done, especially in the UK. Been done that way for years. The royal icing has several layers and apparently it doesn't get rock hard. I believe now they do marzipan with a layer of fondant, but royal icing is very traditional.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 10

its an old traditional way of covering fruit cakes. it dates back to before fondant. you leave the cake for a few days so the marzipan can harden and then you have a very sturdy base for the RI coats to go on and it wont crack.. then several layersof RI is added over a few days. this is why the technique is mainly done on fruit cakes

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 5:50am
post #4 of 10

The marzipan also evens out the bumps in the fruit cake so that the fondant or RI can be done very smoothly. If covered in RI, there's usually some glycerin added to the royal so that it cuts easily.

Rae

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 10

May I jump in with a ques as well? Why the need to cover the marzipan with either fondant or RI? Why can't marzipan be the final coat? Is it because marzipan can't be colored?

AnnieCahill Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 10

Marzipan can definitely be colored. I do it all the time. It can do anything fondant can do, but it tastes better.

Marzipan is a thick barrier for a fruit cake, sealing in the moisture. I think cakes are again covered in fondant because the marzipan itself is kind of yellowish and most people want a white wedding cake. Plus, marzipan has a lot of oil from the almonds and royal icing decorations wouldn't hold up very long.

I have several books where it shows cakes with just a covering of marzipan. There's one in Martha Stewart Weddings and it's actually very pretty. I think it's the cherry almond cake.

a_kelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
a_kelly Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for starting this topic. Very informative!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 10

Colette Peters mixes marzipan and fondant sometimes. It makes a lovely product with a slight ivory tint. She calls it "Marzifon" when discussing it with clients.

Rae

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 10:52pm
post #9 of 10

May I jump in with a ques as well? Why the need to cover the marzipan with either fondant or RI? Why can't marzipan be the final coat? Is it because marzipan can't be colored?

AnnieCahill Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 10

I answered your post above.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%