Wire Dress Form Going Onto Dress Cake???? How To Approach?

Decorating By kisamarie Updated 10 Feb 2012 , 4:03pm by kisamarie

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, I am using a wire dress form to make a wedding dress cake, the cake is basically going to be a sheet but the dresses train is going to cover the whole sheet. I was going to embed the form in the cake for support, but I have to somehow cover it to make it food safe to touch the cake.....Any Ideas would help!

4 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 1:31am
post #2 of 5

Hi,

Sorry but, Can I ask: Are you going to leave the wire dress form in its original state? meaning, you are not covering it with fondant to conceal the wires?

kisamarie Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 4:56am
post #3 of 5

I am covering the wire form with fondant and gumpaste, but I wanted to embed it into the sheet cake and then build the cake up under the dress so it looks fuller. At this point I have covered the wire form with floral tape and am going to probably do a slip over the form made of gumpaste and fondant and let that dry so that there's no possible way any of the wire will touch any of the cake when it comes time to assemble it, Since I got only one response, I had to try to figure it out on my own, but if anyone can think of a better solution please let me know!

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 9:42am
post #4 of 5

Next time, you can just dip the wire form into chocolate, creating a barrier between the wire and the cake. Then cover up the part you need to with gumpaste/fondant.

kisamarie Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 5

Lol. Well that would have been too easy and made too much sense!!! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%