Wedding Cake Prices

Decorating By princesscatt Updated 7 Feb 2012 , 9:57pm by KoryAK

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 6

Do any of you charge differently for wedding cakes compared to birthday or specialty cakes? I am starting to get more wedding orders and was curios because everyone tells me I dont charge enough!

5 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 6

I don't have special pricing for different events. A three tiered cake covered in pearls and bows for a 1st b-day will cost just as much as it would for a wedding. Pricing depends on complexity of design and servings...across the board! And if people are telling you you aren't charging enough, I bet they're right!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 6

I do have different pricing, I have a line of "pre-designed" cakes that I offer now that have a flat price with no customization. You get my design with a message like happy birthday. They are not tiered and when people start wanting changes I tell them that the price is different. Not everyone wants a super fancy custom cake, lots of people just want a pretty cake that tastes good, and I sell a lot of these,

I have a per serving charge for all tiered cakes and any custom cakes. I don't care what the event is that they need them for.

Having friends and family tell you you are "not charging enough" is a blanket blanket statement like "you should be on TV like the Cake Boss!". I hate to say it, but it doesn't mean anything. I know my mom tells me all the time how talented I am and how I could be the next Buddy because "I'm so much better!" icon_biggrin.gif Yeah, not so much.

Realistically, you need to do your math and work out your pricing. Are you covering your costs? Are you covering your overhead? Are you covering your time? If the answer to any of this is "NO", then you are not charging enough and you need to re-work your prices with a business mindset. If the answer is yes, then take the compliment but don't get all crazy and raise your prices just because you think people will value you more, you'll find those people will stop ordering from you because now you charge too much icon_biggrin.gif

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I do have different pricing, I have a line of "pre-designed" cakes that I offer now that have a flat price with no customization. You get my design with a message like happy birthday. They are not tiered and when people start wanting changes I tell them that the price is different. Not everyone wants a super fancy custom cake, lots of people just want a pretty cake that tastes good, and I sell a lot of these,

I have a per serving charge for all tiered cakes and any custom cakes. I don't care what the event is that they need them for.

Having friends and family tell you you are "not charging enough" is a blanket blanket statement like "you should be on TV like the !". I hate to say it, but it doesn't mean anything. I know my mom tells me all the time how talented I am and how I could be the next Buddy because "I'm so much better!" icon_biggrin.gif Yeah, not so much.

Realistically, you need to do your math and work out your pricing. Are you covering your costs? Are you covering your overhead? Are you covering your time? If the answer to any of this is "NO", then you are not charging enough and you need to re-work your prices with a business mindset. If the answer is yes, then take the compliment but don't get all crazy and raise your prices just because you think people will value you more, you'll find those people will stop ordering from you because now you charge too much icon_biggrin.gif

I agree with you. Some customers have told me I dont charge enough cause they went to xyz bakery. I don't have the over head or any employees to pay like a bakery does. I am comfortable with my pricing. I prob should start charging separately for gumpaste flowers and what not but I don't. I am no cake boss! Lol

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I do have different pricing, I have a line of "pre-designed" cakes that I offer now that have a flat price with no customization. You get my design with a message like happy birthday. They are not tiered and when people start wanting changes I tell them that the price is different.

We have a similar pricing structure...single tier cakes (regardless of the event) have a flat starting price that includes BC and basic decorations. Any additions (premium fillings, custom decorations, fondant) are extra. For multi-tier cakes we have a per-serving price starting at $5/serving, for complex decorations we will either increase the per-serving price (if the decoration is throughout the cake) or tack on a flat upcharge (for something like a custom topper).

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 6

I price it like Jason does (except all flavors and fillings are the same price)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%