How Do You Handle?

Business By MamaMia808 Updated 7 Feb 2012 , 2:21am by howsweet

MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 4

What do you do when you see someone using a picture of your work and claiming it as their own? My hubby thinks it isn't a biggie since they'll never be able to replicate the work but it really really bugs me! Any good way to handle this?

3 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 4

I would contact the person and ask them to remove your photo. It is Copy Right Infringement.

Also, never post pic's online without first water marking them.

After you contact the person if they won't remove the photo contact the website (ie: Facebook) and let them know it is your work and your photo and someone else is using it as their own.

Good Luck and always Watermark.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 4

This has been discussed before...and it's a very touchy thing. It's one thing for someone to copy your cake design--that happens all the time and I think is just part of what happens when you put your work out there for all to see. But it's quite another issue to steal your photo.

If it were me I'd first contact whoever is using the photo and say that while you don't mind if they copy your cake design, you must ask them to remove the photo as that is your property and not subject for use on their site without your permission. If they want to use it they will have to credit you and the location of the site where they found it as a byline under the photo.

You might consider watermarking your photos too if this is happening a lot.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 2:21am
post #4 of 4

I don't have any particular sympathy for someone who uses a photo I took of one of my cakes and presents it as their own work to get business from. So if it's on Facebook, I just report it, explaining that I can provide pics of the cake from a number of different angles and that person just has the one shot. Facebook takes care of it lickity split.

Be sure and take screenshots before you do anything or you may not have proof they used your pic.

Only once did I have a problem - a bakery in Arizona put pics of several of my cakes interspersed through their gallery. I called and at first they weren't going to do anything and then they actually had the gall to get indignant because a friend of mine took it upon himself to post on their Facebook page that they had used my pics. They actually called me to complain - can you believe that? There are some crazy people out there.

I have watermarks on some of my pics, but I just hate the way it looks, but if you want to prevent this, that's the only way I know how.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%