Coloring Gumpaste A Deep Red

Decorating By raknudtson Updated 30 Jan 2013 , 8:08pm by dawnybird

raknudtson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raknudtson Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 6

I am using Wilton red gel. Trying to color gumpaste. I added a lot of gel, but color seems to me to be more of a light pink red, not a real Valentine red. Also noticed that as the gumpaste dries, it lightens up. How do I get a Valentine red color when using gumpaste?

5 replies
sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 6

I use Americolor Super Red, and it colors so much better than the Wilton. I like the Wilton colors in general, but for red I always go to Americolor. If you can't get Americolor, I think the No Taste Red by Wilton gives the better color red of the reds from Wilton.

Here is a link i found on youtube that was helpful to me when I had trouble getting a true red gumpaste for a wedding cake I did that had red roses.

HTH!

macdacruz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macdacruz Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 6

Hi there again,

I use Americolor Super Red and if I want to deepen the color to a rich red, I had "Rubine" petal dust mixed with a bit of shortening so that incorporates better in the Fondant. I do not know if you will be able to get the Rubine color by you, but you must try it. People get amazed with my red roses.

Hope I have helped you to get the red you want.

REgards

Lena

Happy caking!

MeghanKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghanKelly Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 6

I had a buttercream cake that was supposed to be red-red, and I tried a full bottle of the Wilton no-taste red, combined with a half bottle of Wilton Christmas Red, and it still appeared bubble gum pink.  After sitting overnight, it deepened to a light red but I still wasn't happy with it on delivery.  Customer was pleased, so I guess that's all that counts, but I've since switched to Americolor for my reds.

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 6

Americolor all the way, they are wonderful and so easy to work with. Less mess and very little needed really when compared to how much Wilton color you would have to use.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 6

I, too, fought recently to get a true deep red. I was doing a red rose for a Phantom of the Opera cake and that needed to be "blood red". After trying all of the above suggestions and still having an orange-red, I resorted to kneading in a half of a pkg. of cherry KoolAid powder. It worked amazingly well! It smelled like cherry, but I knew the rose wouldn't be eaten, so no matter the taste! I was afraid the powder would make the gum paste too dry, but I had added so much gel color, it was no problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%