Looking For Advice On How To Replicate A My Little Pony Cake

Decorating By SpringChicken Updated 24 Jun 2013 , 8:53pm by StacyAikens

SpringChicken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringChicken Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 4:05am
post #1 of 6

Hello all,
I'm a total newbie on the site, and am currently researching on how to replicate the following cake for my daughter's 3rd birthday in March. She LOVES My Little Pony, and I really want to WOW her with this cake!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jellycake/4736033801/

So my questions are:
- Can anyone take an educated guess on the size pan used for the main part of the cake? I was thinking 9x13 but now I think it might be bigger than that... I'm also wondering what size cake board that is!!
- The rainbow cake part - think it's cake? Or Rice Krispy treats? My idea is to make that part a rainbow cake on the inside - I think my daughter would squeal over that detail!
- Any tips on how to go about creating the two color fondant cover over the cake? I was thinking of rolling out the blue and green then overlapping them on the mat and cutting down the middle with an exacto knife. Then I would get rid of the excess, glue the two pieces together, and THEN smooth in onto the cake. Will that work or will it fall apart on me?! Eek!

Thanks for any help! I am excited and nervous as this would be my first big cake project - all my previous cakes have been very simple!!

Susana
[/url]

5 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 8:14am
post #2 of 6

Hi,

It looks like it is a 9x13 cake on a 14x18 board

The rainbow part could be done out of either or. It looks like cake but it could be RKTs covered in fondant. I think that making the inside a rainbow would be a really cool idea icon_smile.gif

You have the right idea about the 2 tone fondant BUT, I would minimize yr work by covering the cake in 2 pcs (one side blue/one side green) and where the 2 colors meet, cut the curved pattern and remove the excess piece, which shouldnt be much to remove at all icon_smile.gif

I think doing the way you suggested will come apart on you when you try to lift it.

You will do a great job!!! I can tell that you have thought it all out icon_smile.gif

HTH

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 8:24am
post #3 of 6

the cake on the side is probably a 6 or 7 inch cake, but you could do it with rice krispy treats as well.

I would do the two tone matching on the cake. Lay the piece of green about halfway on the cake and then cut, then add the blue piece and cut to mach the green.

SpringChicken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringChicken Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 4:51am
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much to both of you for your input - I will definitely change my action plan on how to cover the cake with the two colors of fondant! Much appreciated! I will be sure to post a picture of the cake!

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 8:57am
post #5 of 6

yr very welcome icon_smile.gif

Its a cute cake. Im sure yr lil one will be soooo happy icon_smile.gif

StacyAikens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyAikens Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 6

ASo I am wanting to try this cake too but am really not good at fondant how can I make the pony's could I trace them some way then put on the cake I am really not a professional just do as a hobby! Please please help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%