I Give Up!!!! I Am Never Going To Try Covering A......

Decorating By SweetsbyLadawn Updated 8 Feb 2012 , 7:50am by SweetsbyLadawn

SweetsbyLadawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbyLadawn Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 8

square cake dummy with fondant. Have you covered a real square cake in fondant? Is it hard or is the dummy hard because it doesn't give like real cake? I've covered rectangles with great success. But this dummy square- I am singing the blues! I am switching to buttercream for my bridal show- all square example. If you all tell me that a regular square will be the same headace...extra if I have a square order.
I've seen two youtube videos and sanded the edges.....
thanks for the vent!
peeling off fondant again.

7 replies
Nancy_TX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy_TX Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 8

Sorry this is giving you such fits. What exactly is the problem? If it's that the fondant keeps tearing, roll the dummy on the edges 1st (before trying to cover it) to take the sharp edges off. Also, I find it easier if you roll your fondant a bit thicker. For me, covering the dummy was easier than the real cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 8

Agree with Nancy. Always smooth the corners first and work your way to the centers.

PS I discontinued offering square cakes years ago. Hate them.

SweetsbyLadawn Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 8

leah_s-really! discontinued them! amazing! Your customers ask and you say I dont do square?

Thank you both...yes rolled it thick...focused on the corners first etc. everything the videos said to do.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 7:52am
post #5 of 8

So what exactly is the problem? Corners tearing? Dummy moving all around? Fondant not sticking to dummy?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 8

Oh I probably lost a few orders, but I hate squares so much, I didn't care.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 8

I look forward to squares, so much easier than round. Just make sure you attack all four corners first then the area in between. I find that pressing really hard on the corners and sharp places helps stop tearing, making your fondant a tad thicker and brushing piping gel all over before applying fondant helps it stick like glue.

SweetsbyLadawn Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 7:50am
post #8 of 8

The corners. If they didn't tear, they had stress marks... didn't look clean. It was terrible. Fondant on the thicker side. I will try again...but not for this bridal show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%