Help - Opinions Needed On Money Problem!

Business By anabelz01 Updated 5 Feb 2012 , 3:44pm by cakecoachonline

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 5

Hey everyone!

Hoping you might be able to help!

I used to bake full time from home (uk baker and licenced etc) but gave up to have my son. I recently took on an order for an old friend for a 5 tier wedding cake covered in roses, quite a lot of work (but more of something to keep me in a cake frame of mind and something to do if you know what I mean) and we agreed on £360. This was confirmed on a booking form which she signed.

She paid upon booking a deposit of £90 plus £60 towards the bill. So in total paid £150 leaving £210 to pay.

She asked for a receipt for this, I photocopied the booking form (upon which she had written herself "we owe you £210") and I wrote a hand written note confirming the payment. This was last year.

She came over the other day, and gave me cash to cover what she owed, i checked it and it was only £160 she text me asking for a receipt, so I emailed her confirming there was still £50 to pay.

But today she has written back saying I had written on her form the balance was £160, I cant find a record of this, but can only assume I ballsed up somewhere and calulated it wrong when writing out the receipt, even though she had a copy of the original document that stated the cake was £360 and she owed me £210.

I hope I havent lost you sorry for all the writing but wanted to give u the total story...

So what do I do? She says I wrote £90 and £60 paid with £160 left to pay on the last receipt, (i should have written £210 still to pay but copied the wrong amount down) but surely this wont override the original document that she signed stating the cake was £360. I have emailed her appologising for what must have been a miscalulation but not sure where that leaves me.

What do you think can anyone share any thoughts?

Anna x

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 5

The original booking form takes precedence, it says she owes £210 and she paid you £160. You apologized for the miscalculation but she still owes you £50.

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your post, I just wanted to get a second opinion really to be sure!

Thanks!

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 5

I would also ask her bring over her form were you wrote the wrong amount owing. So you can see it for yourself. Maybe she isn't telling the truth, or if she is apologize for the miscalculation. She agreed to the original price, so she still owes you the balance.

Good Luck

cakecoachonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecoachonline Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 5

If she is an old friend - she would not be trying to cheat you. Ask to meet up and for her to bring all her paperwork with her. Explain calmly and politely in case you did write the wrong figures down. At the end of the day - she has not paid the full amount you were charging regardless of sums written down and you should be paid for the work that you were contracted to do. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%