Storing Supplies

Business By CakeInfatuation Updated 4 Feb 2012 , 3:24am by kakeladi

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 3

For those of you that have a retail bakery (not out of your home). How much room do you have or wish you had to store dry goods (ingredients), boxes, etc.

We are trying to figure out a layout and want to know how much room to allot for storage so we aren't kicking ourselves later. icon_wink.gif

2 replies
sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:23am
post #2 of 3

I work for a family bakery ( not mine, just employee) and believe me that is the biggest problem because we just don't have enough storage space. Those metal racks with 3-4 levels on wheels are really handy to move around. We have 5 in production area and could use more. The flour, sugar, etc are all stored in back in bins that seal really well, that fit under the work tables. It's the supplies that must be fridged or frozen that really need more space. You need to think out how often you will order in supplies ( especially fridged), how much product do you expect to produce and where will you store all those special pans, decorating equipement etc. plan on storage or shelf space for your books, decorating books and recipes as well as office supplies. I wish I knew a formula to help you. Also where will you store the finished cakes and large items that must stay in fridge until pickup??? hope this helps a bit.... by the way in walk in fridge there are 6 large 4 shelf racks plus we put multiracks on wheels in there but I swear we could use about 4 more racks in that area alone.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:24am
post #3 of 3

How much room needed will depend on how busy this business is. I had a small room - maybe 10x8; just piled up high when extra supplies were needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%