First Timer Looking For Advice And Possible Mentor.

Business By simplysweetamy Updated 3 Feb 2012 , 6:57pm by AmysCakesNCandies

simplysweetamy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetamy Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 10

Hello,

My name is Amy and I just started a cake business out of my home under the cottage food law in Michigan. I am calling myself simply sweet creations of Ludington MI. I have worked in bakeries for about 12 years and its time for me to start doing it for myself.

I am running the business thru cake boss software and am getting it for the most part.

what I am looking for is someone who is running a cake business from home who is willing to share tips and tricks of the trade. I excelled working for other people but doing it on my own gives me moments of total fear! I have the same fear Im sure all of us have had, I dont want to fail.

I am just getting started so I am currently working on my advertising, brochures, pricing guides etc.

anyone find great deals on marketing materials?

thanks so much for those who read and reply.

Amy icon_smile.gif

9 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 10

For help on the business side (not cake-specific) SCORE is a great resource, they offer free local mentors.

http://www.score.org/

simplysweetamy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetamy Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the link Jason! I will check it out!

BakedAlaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedAlaska Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 10

Check out Vistaprint. I've had great luck with them.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 10

Just read this website regularly and you will get all kinds of tips, even more than a mentor may provide, because so many awesome people contribute!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom

Just read this website regularly and you will get all kinds of tips, even more than a mentor may provide, because so many awesome people contribute!

thumbs_up.gif

miwhitern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miwhitern Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 9:24am
post #7 of 10

Make a facebook business page. It can really draw customers.

shelby10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelby10 Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 10

Hello Amy,
I am also in Michigan, and I am trying to possible get a cake business started out of my home..I am scared to death, I like you don't want to fail. One day I'm like yes i can do this then I start thinking about the many things that can go wrong, and it completely freaks me out. Yikes!!
I have put some of my cakes on my Facebook, and that has really gotten me some attention, also I'm in the process of making a web page. And getting bussiness cards. My problem is i have never worked in a bakery, would have loved too.So I don't have very much experience about the business part of things.. But the only only places around me are Krogers and walmarts, and i want to do fondant cakes. I have only done about 4 fondant cakes but have been very pleased how they have turned out and kinda want to stay in that direction.
I have also gotten a world of information from this website, different ideas, recipies etc..
Things I never knew about baking and decorating..
Sounds too me like you are on the right track, good luck with everything..

Your fellow Michigander...

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 10

Two words. Business plan. That should be Number One before you start anything.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 10

Well you came to the right place! There are lots of us here with Home based bakery busineses (and also with storefronts) who are always willing to answer questions and give a little guidance.

I know something I struggled with at first was creating my identity as a business. I used to take all kinds of small orders, tried farmers markets and spread my advertising out accross a wide net...... That doesn't work so well. Once I narowed down my niche (wedding cakes) I was able to target my marketing and build a steady business. So my first advise woud be to think about what exactly it is you want to do and tailor your marketing towards that.

As far as promotion:
Definately check out Vistaprint, by far the best print deals. Build a website (if you cant affort to have one profesionally built you can build one yourself through sites like Go Daddy and Microsoft Live small office online) Facebook is also a great tool. Also there are a ton of free online listings you can take advantage of, just search google for "party cakes" or "wedding cakes" and a bunch of theese will pop up. Add your business liting to every one of them that does not charge. It takes a little time but its FREE.

Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%